Is the Father Greater than the Lord Jesus?

by JW Answers 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JW Answers
  • JW Answers
    JW Answers

For those who are seeking, and wanting to learn the Bible, I thought I would place a helpful video up to explain this teaching.

The Jehovah's Witnesses use the verses displayed in Johns Gospel in which the Lord Jesus said "My Father is greater than I" and suggest that Jesus is not God.

However by rightly dividing the word of God we can establish that the Lord Jesus has equality with His Father, and now had a name above every name, where people in heaven, earth and under the earth should be in worship to him.

His humbled state whilst on earth

Philippians2:6-8 KJV
    Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: [7] But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: [8] And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

His exalted state now in heaven :

Philippians 2:9-11 KJV
    Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: [10] That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; [11] And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

For more verses to explain the Lord Jesus position then, and now, please watch the above.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

If Jesus became "God" when he arrived back in heaven, then exactly who was Jesus' God????

How can God have a God????

Romans 15:6 - .....glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 1:3 - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ...................

2 Corinthians 11:31 - The God and Father of the Lord Jesus.....

Ephesians 1:3 - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ...

Hebrews 1:9 - That is why God, YOUR God, anointed you with oil of exultation....

1 Peter 1:3 - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.............................

Revelation 1:6 - And he made us to be a kingdom, priests to his God and Father.......................

Revelation 3:2 - .....for I have not found your deeds fully performed before my God

Revelation 3:12 - The one that conquers—I will make him a pillar in the temple of MY God,.... and I will write upon him the name of MY God and the name of the city of MY God, the new Jerusalem which descends out of heaven from MY God....

I look forward to reading your explanation of these verses. (and others)

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

As mentioned within the video : When Jesus came to earth, his position was humbled from his previous position.

When the Lord Jesus referred to His Father as "God", you also have to remember that the Father called His Son, both God and Lord.

Hebrews 1:8-10 KJV
    But unto the Son he saith , Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. [9] Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. [10] And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:

So, it isn't that he "became" God when He ascended back into heaven, it is that His position was restored to what it was previously.

The disciples and apostles all acknowledged that Jesus was both Lord and God as well, just as the Father acknowledged.

Thomas knew the Lord Jesus was God :

John 20:28-29 KJV
    And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. [29] Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Peter believed the Lord Jesus was Lord of all:

Acts 10:36 KJV
    The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

Peter preached that Jesus is God:

2 Peter 1:1 KJV
    Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

Paul preached that the Lord Jesus was God, in the sense that He knew that God manifested Himself in the flesh to be with us.

1 Timothy 3:16 KJV
    And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Paul preached that The Lord Jesus is the great God:

Titus 2:13 KJV
    Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Paul said that The Lord Jesus is the God and Saviour of whom appeared to us:

Titus 3:4 KJV
    But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,

John explained that the Lord Jesus was God several times...

John 1:1 KJV
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

1 John 5:7 KJV
    For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

1 John 5:20 KJV
    And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

So you see, there is scriptural evidence throughout the Bible to explain that the Lord Jesus is equal to the Father.

In His position before He came to earth, the Bible states that he was the creator of ALL things, and that there was nothing made without Him creating it.

John1:1-3 KJV
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [2] The same was in the beginning with God. [3] All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Colossians1:15-17 KJV
    Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: [16] For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: [17] And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

So, as He is the One who created ALL things, there is nothing that was created without Him doing so. Therefore in His previous position before He came to earth, He was called Lord and the angels worshipped Him.

Psalm 148:1-6,13 KJV
    Praise ye the Lord . Praise ye the Lord from the heavens: praise him in the heights. [2] Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts. [3] Praise ye him, sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars of light. [4] Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens. [5] Let them praise the name of the Lord : for he commanded, and they were created. [6] He hath also stablished them for ever and ever: he hath made a decree which shall not pass. [13] Let them praise the name of the Lord : for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven.

Therefore as He is the creator, He was worshipped as God, and the angels are forbidden to worship other angels or even man, as the angel explained to John in Revelation.

Revelation19:10 KJV
    And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

So, the Lord Jesus cannot be just a man, or an angel. He is the Lord God, the creator, the Saviour and the redeemer.

This is why when he came to earth, He humbled Himself - away from the position of High. But now as He ascended into Heaven, He has been highly exalted and been given a name that is higher than EVERY name, just as the Psalmist explained that His name is excellent.

Philippians 2:9 KJV
    Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

So the reason why The Lord Jesus called His Father "My God" is because His Father is God, just as well as the Father called His own Son, both Lord and God in Hebrews 1:8-10.

There are not two God's... There is only One God.

Hope this helps.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

This is just silly. Please stop the scripture war.

• Exelder
    Exelder

"This is just silly. Please stop the scripture war."

I agree. People on either side hardly ever change their opinion. I have yet to read of anybody saying, "oh, yes, I see now. You are right after all."

Anyway, some people seem to enjoy it so as you were :o)

• Ding
    Ding

Why can't people discuss the scriptures on this forum?

If you don't like those threads, ignore them.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Because we're a community of ex-Jehovah's Witnesses (most of us) and their allies (people like me) who come here for information, affirmation, and advice, not people trying to convert them to some other faith. Please spare us the proselytizing, it gets old real fast. I'm not in the mood for an argument, I spoke my piece, I'm going to go about my day.

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

No hold on. I have been posting videos on this site for months, I stopped commenting on them because no one took interest in responding. I then got comments thrown at me saying that I was "a hit and run preacher" and "I couldn't defend my videos with verses".

So, I apologised publically and now started to comment. I now get told "stop throwing verses"

I cannot win lol.. and people wonder why I don't come here to comment...

These videos are information about the cult of Jehovah's Witnesses.. I am explaining from the Bible how their doctrine is incorrect, and actually showing ExJWs, Christians, and even JWs that the Watchtower are in error.

It seems like I am getting attacked for posting videos on here, and some people do find them helpful.

There is a topic list here stating "Doctrines, and Bible study" so when you are saying "Stop the scripture war" you have no right to say such things, because they site actually welcomes this sort of act.

I always prove my teachings from the word of God, and when a person cannot reply back to the verses showing to them, they become upset and tell me in a mild way "get lost" (basically).

I will continue to post these videos on this forum, as the site welcomes it, unless a Mod blocks me for adhering to the site rules.... Which would be nonsence. Therefore if you don't like to hear and see the word of God, perhaps because it's convicting you... Then you know not to comment.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

• Therefore if you don't like to hear and see the word of God, perhaps because it's convicting you... Then you know not to comment.

con·vict

v. con·vict·ed, con·vict·ing, con·victs
    v.tr.
    1. Law To find or prove (someone) guilty of an offense or crime, especially by the verdict of a court: The jury convictedthe defendant of manslaughter.
    2. To show or declare to be blameworthy; condemn: His remarks convicted him of a lack of sensitivity.
    3. To make aware of one's sinfulness or guilt.
    v.intr.

Hahahaha By the bible, everyone is convicted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit