The King James Bible - The King and his Boyfriend

by fulltimestudent 14 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

In 1604 King James I of England issued an instruction that a new translation of the Bible be prepared. It was completed in 1611 and the first edition appeared in 1612.

At the front of this Bible this notation apppeared:

"THE HOLY BIBLE, Containing the Old Testament, AND THE NEW: Newly Translated out of the Original tongues: & with the former Translations diligently compared and revised, by his Majesties special Commandment"

But in a delicious irony, especially considering the special place this translation has in the minds of many Christians, and the general hostility of many Christians to the notion of men having sex with men, King James I, who had personally chaired meetings of the translation committee had a male lover. Well, more than one male lover actually, for during some of the time, at least, James dallied with Robert Carr, the Earl of Somerset. But by the time the translation was finished, there was some coolness in that relationship. And, another young man, George Villiers appeared at the Royal court. What follows is an extract from a book written about Villiers and his sexual relationship with the KIng.

From Roger Lockyer, Buckingham: The Life and Political Career of George Villiers, First Duke of Buckingham 1592-1628 (1981)

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

First part:

[George Villiers. Duke of] Buckingham made a very favourable impression upon everyone he met, for his attractive appearance and ease of manner were combined with a genuine humility (as though he was awed by his own good fortune) and a desire to please. A portrait of Buckingham., painted in 1616, shows a tall, slender young man, delicate-featured, with long tapering fingers and finely shaped legs. This impression is confirmed by the account of the antiquarian Simonds D’Ewes, who watched Buckingham talking to a group of French lords in 1621, and found ‘everything in him full of delicacy and handsome features: yea, his hands and face seemed to me especially effeminate and curious'. Another eye-witness, Bishop Goodman, described Buckingham as ‘the handsomest-bodied man of England: his limbs so well compacted and his conversation so pleasing and of so sweet a disposition'

Somerset [the royal favourite, Robert Carr, Earl of Somerset] was still behaving in a manner calculated to anger rather than conciliate the King. Driven by suspicions, many of which were justified, Carr sought constant reassurance as he struggled to break the hold of Villiers upon the King's heart. But James, whose love for his old favourite was now clearly fading, insisted that Somerset must acknowledge his faults and return to a more respectful manner of behaviour. As far as James was concerned the situation was quite clear. He would not abandon Villiers, and if Somerset wished to retain his influence he must accept this fact

... the King was on his summer progress, visiting one great country house after another. On its return to London the royal procession passed through Hamp­shire, and at the end of August 1615 the King paused for a few days at Farnham Castle. It was there that Buckingham plaved the trump card which ensured his victory over Somerset. The King - who celebrated his forty-ninth birthday in June 1615 - had long been starved of physical affection. His relations with his wife were those of a friend, not a lover, and as for Somerset, one of the faults which the King laid to his charge was, ‘your long creeping back and withdrawing yourself from lying in my chamber., notwithstanding my many hundred times earnestly soliciting you to the contrary.’

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Second part:

The King’s desires now centred on the young man who had everything to gain from gratifying him, and as Sir Anthony Weldon recorded in the gossipy memoirs that he left to posterity, ‘in his passion of love to his new favourite ... the King was more impatient than any woman to enjoy her love.’

Where the details of private relationships are concerned, nothing, of course, can be known for certain. but Buckingham himself provides the evidence that at Farnham he at last gave in to the King's importunity; writing to James many years later to thank him for a particularly enjoyable visit to Court he told him how he had spent the return journey pondering the question, ‘whether you loved me now ... better than at the time which I shall never forget at Farnham, where the bed's head could not be found between the master and his dog'. Bv giving himself to James, Buckingham confirmed his supremacy for what he had to offer was a combination of qualities which the King could find nowhere else - youth., beauty, high spirits, sensuality, sweetness of character, and devotion … .

The King was never ashamed about giving public expression to his love for his favourite. On the day after his creation as marquis, Buckingham held a great feast in the Cockpit at Whitehall for the King, the Prince and the leading members of the Court. The food was rich and abundant, and the wine plentiful. James was in a warm good humour, and halfway through supper rose from his place, took the Prince by the hand, and walking to the table where the other guests were seated, publicly toasted Buckingham. 'My lords,' he told them, `I drink to you all and I know we are all welcome to my George. And he that doth not pledge it with all his heart, I would the Devil had him for my part.' Having delivered himself of this resounding declaration he returned to his seat.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

And from a letter written by the King in December 1623 to Villiers, we read:

My only sweet and dear child,

Notwithstanding of your desiring me not to write yesterday, yet had I written in the evening if, at my coming out of the park, such drowsiness had not come upon me as I was forced to sit and sleep in my chair half an hour. And vet I cannot content myself without sending you this present, praying God that I may have a joyful and comfortable meeting with you and that we may make at this Christmas a new marriage ever to be kept hereafter; for, God so love me, as I desire only to live in this world for your sake, and that I had rather live banished in any part of the earth with you than I live a sorrowful widow's life without you. And so God bless you., my sweet child and wife, and grant that ye may ever be a comfort to your dear dad and husband. James R.

a letter from James I to the Duke o f Buckingham, December 1623

• cofty
    cofty

There is also an old edition that lists one of the commandments as "Thou shalt commit adultery".

A copy went to auction just last week. It's known as the sinner's bible.

James VI / I was an "interesting" character.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

cofty: James VI / I was an "interesting" character.

Yes! But the whole period is curious. I've posted previously of a discovery by a scholar at Oxford Uni, demonstrating that Queen Elizabeth I issued warrants that authorised the kidnapping of young men, (apparently past puberty) to work in the theatres and as male prostitutes.

• cofty
    cofty

I would have to look up the details but it's likely that James murdered the servant of a nobleman who refused his advances.

Bisexuality seems to be quite unremarkable in Stuart times.

• cofty
    cofty
    Check out "The Gowrie Plot"
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Thnx... Interesting, though I suspect ( after a fast reading) that Catholic - Protestant bickering may be involved. As now, the ultimate insult was to say that the opponents were 'faggots.'
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

This is a diary entry by William Laud, Archbishop of Canterbury (between 1633 and 1645), for August 1625:

That night in a dream the Duke of Buckingham seemed to me to ascend into my bed, where he carried himself with much love toward me, after such rest wherein wearied men are wont exceedingly to rejoice: and likewise many seemed to me to enter the bed chamber who did see this.

I presume George Villiers would still be alive in 1625. So the Archbishop must have had the hots for George for quite a while. The interesting part of the Archbishop's dream/vision is that he was apparently undisturbed to be seen by many other people having sex with George.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit