Have any Ex JWs married person of another faith?

by Stacey 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Stacey
    Stacey

I'm just curious to see how this has worked out for people. Has anyone married a Christian? Catholic? Buddhist? Any other religion?

My situation is that I was born & raised a JW, left at age 17. I did the Christian route for about 5 years, and got turned off by that. I'm now 31 and have not been involved in any church of any sort for 4+ years. I am not against religion these days (I was for awhile). I still believe in a Creator, I'm just really not up for guessing what that Creator wants from us. That's a whole seperate story.

At this point in my life I have met a man who I want to spend my life with. He was born & raised Catholic. He's not "die-hard" into his religion, but he attends Mass a couple of Sundays a month. I go with him every once in awhile. I've told him that I dont think I'll ever join his religion in heart. He wants to be married in his church. And I'm considering it, because religion is really not that big of a deal to me anymore. I can go without it, but I also think there's nothing wrong with attending every once in awhile. And honestly, I'd be ok with my kids learning it. They will always know from me, that there are other options and that they will be able to choose. He's aware of my views.

Anyways, I'm mostly just seeing if there is anyone else out there who has my similar beliefs and is with a person that is a part of a religion.

Thanks!

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi Stacey:

I do not think you actually have to join the Catholic Church in order to be married in it. I would talk to his priest about that. However, you can go through the Rite of Christian Initiation (RCIA) program which is a class that teaches you about the Catholic faith. That is the normal way someone joins the Catholic Church. I know some have taken the (RCIA) classes without actually joining so as to learn more about the faith and then they have gotten married in the Church. There are a variety of options opened to you. I sent you a private message with more info.

Jeff Schwehm

• Phil
    Phil

Most of my siblings were married to Protestants. When they got married in the Catholic Church it was in a separate part of the church building. The Protestant has to swear to bring up the children as Catholics. Aside from that there is no problem. If you never go to church after you are married I doubt if you will ever see a priest. Perhaps in a small town. Maybe. I was brought up a Catholic and married a Protestant. I have had no problem with either the Protestants or the Catholics. Generally, the church goers as well as the Priests and Ministers are nice pleasant people. My advice, don't let that stop you. There are certainly a lot of other things to worry about that are more important.

As you said, it is difficult to know what God really wants. I concur.

The biggest mistake you can make is to marry a JW.

• Phil
    Phil

Slight correction. There is only one divorce in my family. That was my only brother and he married a Catholic in the Catholic church. He remarried in the Protestant church with his second wife.

• rekless
    rekless

YES, a Lutherian

• Hamas
    Hamas

No, but the pull of my lady brings that day ever closer, man.

• berylblue
    berylblue

PM about her, Hamas. I would love to hear this. You do realize she has to pass my inspection, of course.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Haven't remarried yet, but have dated women of other faiths.

• kyria
    kyria

The man I married used to be in a cult as well! It was called "The Process" and they did a lot of psychic stuff like remote viewing and mind reading. I think they were a lot bigger in England than in the States (an industrial group called Skinny Puppy has a whole album devoted to them), but he was involved in them in Chicago in the 1970's. They preyed on him when he was a shy and skinny 18 year old.

We actually had a couple of heated arguments over it, I think because I desperately wanted him to admit that the cult had taken advantage of him, but all he would say is that he thought it had been good for him at that time, but it no longer was. I've since lightened up a bit (I was more in my JW "anger" stage at that point), but I don't think he's fully come to terms with the fact that he was taken advantage of by a cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit