Geek, oops, Greek help?

by Odrade 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Odrade
    Odrade

Or maybe Latin. ;) I was doing homework tonight, and the material started talking about a theologian's understanding of love using "agape, philia and eros." I realized that I have no proper understanding of what those terms (particularly agape) REALLY mean, just that stupid JW mantra "love based on principle." So now I'm trying to sort this out. In Basic Christian Ethics by Paul Ramsey he describes it this way:

How exactly do you love yourself? Answer this question and you will know how a Christian should love his neighbor. You naturally love yourself for your own sake. You wish your own good, and you do so even when you may have a certain distaste for the kind of person you are. Liking yourself or thinking yourself very nice, or not, has fundamentally nothing to do with the matter....
    [Agape] means such love for self inverted. Therefore, it has nothing to do with feelings, emotions, taste, preference, temperament, or any of the qualities in other people which arouse feelings of revulsion or attraction, negative or positive preferences...The commandment requires a Christian to aim at his neighbor's good just as unswervingly as man by nature wishes his own.

This leads me to believe that the understanding I grew up with (from the WTS) is narrow, confining and warped. But I still don't really understand the principle of agape love once you take it out of the realm of Organization teaching. Can anyone help me with this? It would really enhance my understanding of this segment of the class. Thanks. Odrade

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Eros: Erotic or sexual love between two people.

Philia: Brotherly love (Philadelphia, City of Brotherly Love, HELLO!!)

Agape: My understanding of this type of love is warm, caring friendship type of love, or the love between family members. My mom used to sing me a song at night that went (spelling phonetically in English):

Thelo na supo (I want to tell you)

Ena mystiko (A secret)

S'agapo, s'agapo, s'agapo (I love you, I love you, I love you)!

Now, no mother is going to sing about a high and mighty "principled" love to her child! That's the real McCoy, folks, with all the kisses and cuddles that go with a mother's love, or the warm hug of a friend, or the snuggle of a married couple.

Just my two cents' half-Greek opinion!

Nina

• Odrade
    Odrade

Okay, that's part of the understanding that I had. Now I find out that Eros also includes and is primarily the affection and romantic attachment between mates. Includes erotic/sexual love but is not limited to it.

Philia encompasses the way we deal with friends, phamily (hehe, sorry), and is the happiest love.

And agape is not inclusive of sentiment, affection, attraction or attachment. But I have also heard it used in folk songs, and don't get that either.

I'm so confused...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

by that definition, agape seems to be fairly well synonymous with the golden rule. Kind of a proactive attitude of reciprocity, if you will.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Eros: Love seeking unity with the beloved, a merging of souls. A highly descriptive word, it can denote sexual relations, infatuation, or obsession. Interestingly, eros appears nowhere in the Greek Scriptures.

Agape: In scripture, it is the love that Christians have for their brethren and for their God. It does not seek reciprocation, and hence is unconditional.

Philia: Love between true friends (not acquaintences), often symbolized with a covenant.

Storge: Love for things which are familiar, including people, animals, and inanimate objects.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit