How are you spending your lockdown time?

by pale.emperor 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

How is everybody spending their lockdown time?

I've been furloughed from work (forced "annual leave" with pay which doesn't affect my regular annual leave) for the past 2 months so I've had lots of time free to do whatever.

I've spent the time productively by doing all those things I've said I'd get round to doing "one day":

• Learning French. I've devoted as much time to it as I used to devote to studying and thinking about Watchtower in my uberJW days. So bare minimum I read some French a day. Have a 30 min lesson and have French radio on in the background as I potter around the house. I've come quite far. I'm conversational now. But I've decided it'll be something I'll do daily forever now.
    • I perfected Roast Potatoes. Thank you Jamie Oliver (BBC food) and my partner's sister for all the tips. An important addition to every British roast dinner.
    • I learned how to make Crème Brûlée from scratch. My partner's absolute favorite dessert. I received a French cookbook as a Christmas present last year so decided to give it a go. I actually enjoy making it and she enjoys eating it so it's a win-win.
    • Got back into guitar playing. I've been playing guitar since I was 15 (20 years ago) but stopped making any real progress about 10 years ago because I stopped pushing myself and was happy to know chords. So I picked up the guitar again and wrote a list of songs I'd like to learn properly and found lessons on YouTube.

I've treated this lockdown as an opportunity seeing as we cant do much of what we want.

I'd be interested in reading how you're all getting on and how you're spending this time?

• RolRod
    RolRod

I'm ESSENTIAL, a Letter Carrier, as a result I've been working 12 hour days

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

* Built a Fishing Pier with my kids.

* Stocked the ponds.

* Lots of Mowing

* Small Woodworking projects with kids

* Built stairs to treehouse. No more aluminum ladder to get up there.

* Built tranquility garden in backyard that requires zero maintenance. Goodbye big garden. (Kept a small one)

All projects completed. Trying to get back into work mode. It has been a rather rude awakening. Just about got my groove back on after 3 weeks back on job.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Working--business as usual. I work at a supermarket (essential business), so there was no closure for the virus. And I only lost one day for the riots--the whole county closed totally for that. No closing down for someone getting sick, no two week quarantine or lockdown, no nothing.

And I have been prepping for that eventuality, and not just recently. In 2019, I got myself a Nintendo New 3DS (many games only play on the new model, not the original of which I got two for Pokemon) along with some 20 more games for it. I got prepped with hand tools (just in case I needed to do repair work), including making sure I had all the tools to fix my bicycle. I have a number of books in German, so I can get better at that while providing some entertainment. (Some of which I started getting in 2018.) I got numerous other entertainment items--trying to reconnect with times long before becoming a jokehovian witless. I got numerous coins in high grades (common date, high grade Seated Liberty dimes and quarters, a large cent, an Indian cent in AU condition, Shield and Liberty nickels in VF condition, a nickel 3 cent piece in XF, a two cent piece in VF, and even a Morgan silver dollar in AU.

On top of that, I have plenty of regular "junk(??)" silver ("junk" being jargon for common date silver coins in average circulated condition) to go through. Plus, two rolls of common dated Indian cents (unfortunately, all but two out of 100 dated in the 1890s and 1900s, with the other two in the late 1880s and none in the 1860s or 1870s). And, to really connect with better times (or waste some 500 toilet papers trying, before the dollar completely becomes toilet paper), a 1909-S Indian cent in VF condition on order. Plus, I have one great big tub of wheat pennies in what would have been "average circulated" back in the 1970s.

All that, and we can't even get a two week store closure because someone was suspected of having coronavirus.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Ive been flat out mate,

I own/run a utilities company digging and laying ducts.

Apparently this is essential.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit