My live as video gamer and JW

by ironsnake656 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• ironsnake656
    ironsnake656

One of my strangest things that happened to me during my life as JW was that I loved (and still I do) video games. I started playing Super Mario Bros in a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) from my cousin and from there I developed an attachment to the video games. I remember that I asked for a gift the NES to my dad and my wish come true! I played like 5 or 6 hours a day and always my mom and dad told me that it was an addiction, even my school performance was almost perfect (I was an A+ student), and I did not neglect my home and JW responsibilities. During the meetings I fantasized how to beat a boss or pass through a difficult stage. Some of the games my parents purchased me or got as gifts where not "authorized" or "no-no" according with the JWland doctrine, since they had references about magic, demons, war, violence, killings, religions, omens/spells, vampires, etc: Iron Sword: Wizards & Warriors II, Dragon Warrior, Cabal, Metal Gear, Contra and Super C, Defender of the Crown, Kirby's Adventure, Castlevania, and Pounch-Out. My parents did not noticed what kind of games I played.

Then, I started to go to the arcade sites where I played games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. In those places, some JW children/teens where the most frequent customers and experienced gamers. I remember that MK games were the "no-no" in the media and among the local JW's. There were frequent talks about the dangers of video games, despite the elder's sons were the most addicted and pro gamers. Then, I purchased the SNES, the N64, the PlayStation 1 and 2, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. My wife is a pro gamer in the Ms. Pac-Man, and I got excited when I discovered that she like video games like me!!

The point here is that despite I was raised as JW under indoctrination, I liked video games and I did not develop a regret to play "unauthorized" games. I enjoyed it. They helped me to escape from the reality and problems, and to learn English. I remember that Watchtower printed some articles that talked about video games (I remember one from a 1982 Awake!), and it is silly how they expose by illustrations the dangers of video gaming, like the boy who makes violent gestures when playing in front of the TV, or when the mom and son are talking with the elders and exposing what kind of games the boy are playing ("Are you playing God of War? You know that if you play this kind of games the demons will posses you?").

I still play (not too much as I was young) since I have a lot of work and responsibilities. What are your experiences if you have any about video games??

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Ahhh the happy memories, many similar to yours.

up up down down left right left right b a b a start

like u i still game but on much more limited basis. Too much life to live to waste it in the house but i do still have the bug, from time to time

• ironsnake656
    ironsnake656

Yeah, those passwords and cheat codes. I remember that I got those cheat codes from friends and magazines, before internet. I got a box full of Nintendo Power and Electronic Gaming magazines from an older sister who had grandchildren from USA. Today you need to purchase DLC or cheat codes $$$... what happened to gaming today??

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Dlc and season passes are plauge, a way to take the cost a game from 60$ to 120$.... it feels very dishonest to me and i stopped supporting that nonense

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

My father told my that the society apparently said that violent video games were Satan's way of training the masses for the Great Tribulation. Ordinary citizens would suddenly know how to manage complex weapons and kids will be skinning other children alive to create zombies as though it were the most casual thing in the world to do.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Great memories! The NES classics are the best. My dad pitched a fit and made me return Golgo 13 for the NES. Just another reason I hated growing up a JW.

My passion was role-playing games. I never got into Dungeons & Dragons because there was no hiding that. I played rpgs based on sci-fi and Lord of the Rings. My player group was all JW young adults who just moved out on their own. I spent my high school years hanging out with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit