Interesting Scripture!

by Iamallcool 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

https://www.jw.org/en/library/bible/study-bible/books/jeremiah/20/#v24020007

I have never noticed this scripture! Verse 7. I have never read the whole bible! What do you think about that scripture??

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

That is a great verse for showing what the god the Bible (one who allegedly exists) is - a deceiver (except that I know he is a fictional character). That is despite the Letter to the Hebrews claiming that God cannot lie. Maybe the Governing Body of the JWs console themselves with that verse, thinking it gives them the right to deceive their readers (even JWs) in the name of kingdom interests and in the name of promoting the theocracy of the LORD (Yahweh/Jehovah).

Update: Some Bible commentaries say that Jeremiah was in emotional distress only temporarily thought that Yahweh was deceptive. Those commentaries say that later verses show that Jeremiah later learned that Yahweh was not being deceptive.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It is an interesting turn of phrase, "You fooled/deceived me" . It reflects the more primitive sentiment that humans are tools/ pawns in the Yahweh's hands. While how much of the book reflects the work of the one man is hotly debated, the message of Jeremiah at least here is one of capitulation to Babylon. Make what you will of the mental state of the prophets, he was sure Babylon was going to clobber them and felt the best course was to bow down.

His message was understandably unpopular and viewed as traitorous.

The priest had him put in stocks and he was ridiculed for his lack of faith and courage.

As a prophet during Josiah's attempts to reform the religion of Judah he was of the Yahwist camp that no doubt delighted in his insistence upon exclusive Yahweh worship.

He saw the Egyptians then kill Josiah and then depose Josiah's son Jehoahaz from the throne and appoint Jehoiakim king. Then he saw Egypt's rival Babylon take over and siege Jerusalem and Jehoiakim change allegiance from Egypt to Babylon. Then "Babylonian,[a] Aramean, Moabite and Ammonite" raiders come and kill Jehoiakim, possibly for some revolt(??)

The Babylon subsequently appointed Jehoiachin/Jeconiah as king at either 8 or 18 years old.

3 months later Babylon sent armies to collect the royals to take them to Babylon for assimilation and education.

Jeremiah suggested they give up but the King insisted upon resistance.

Jeremiah saw a lot of confusing turns of events and likely felt a bit "fooled" much of the time.

• waton
    waton

How about Jonah, he preached destruction, not repentance, and was fooled. How about the deceptive spirit that got Ahab into deadly battle?

God can not lie, but truth can vary, the chariot can reverse course? the ship HMS jworg tack? ?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

How good of you to bring this to our attention, Iamallcool. How did you discover it?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

You mentioned that quote on my thread!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit