Have you been embarrassed just to be with somebody?

by stillin 7 Replies latest jw friends

• stillin
    stillin

The cult draws a lot of strange people in. People who act like snobs about education and how much more important the witnessing work is. People with hang-ups. People who just aren't that smart or even retarded.

Have you ever had, for instance, a "worldly" family member with you when one of these extreme idiots pops up? Or go out in service with one, just trying to be kind, and totally regret it. Then feel guilty afterwards for feeling ashamed about knowing that person. After all, if he is acceptable to God, shouldn't he be acceptable to me?

There was an elder here that wore a ridiculous hat and squinted at you while he rocked on his feet, forward and back. He was always letting people know about the "great ones" he personally knew at Bethel or some position they had. Nobody else was worth knowing. I just wanted to say "shut up!"

• blondie
    blondie

In my case, some I would try to socialize kindly. If another jw was at the door though and acted weirdly or comfrontative, I would privately tell them I could not stand by and watch and listen to this. I would talk to the appropriate elders saying I could not go with them to the door and specifically why. Not surprisingly, the elders knew and chose not to do anything about it. Thus, I always volunteered to be the one who went d2d by myself when there was an odd :) number going out.

I had one sister initiate a shouting match at the door for all in the neighborhood to hear. Another got into a loud argument with the landlord who had asked us to leave rather than telling the elders later and having them tactfully handle it.

• tiki
    tiki

There was one gung-ho pioneer whose iq was not particularly high and whose manners were incredibly deficient. Going h-h with her was sheer torture. Her grammar was awful...she was brash...rude crude...you name it. I'd cringe at some of the things she would say when she got someone to keep a door open more than 10 seconds....

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

Yah, I was embarrassed to be associated with Jehovah's witnesses, period. Being a spectacle almost every day in school, because you didnt salute the flag, say the pledge, participate in birthdays or holidays. Questioning EVERYTHING, (class assignments, films, field trips, after school activities) and whether it was proper for a Christian witness. Constantly being made to stand out, for percieved negative reasons, while not being allowed to make a solid friendship with anyone around you, you know, for some kind of support. Constantly being embarrassed, yet getting good at hiding it, and learning how to hide in plain sight, or avoid those situations altogether.

And yes, there was always a witness who loved to informally engage others, and insist on preaching to someone while we were just out doing something otherwise benign.

Also, being made to call on a classmates home. You knew you were gonna hear about it on Monday, and probably for quite some time after. Being forced to stand out in a crowd, negatively, for no good reason, only to then, years later, watch GB members shirk their court appearances, their positions, their beliefs. To avoid what? Confrontation, being embarrassed? What? And you expected me, as a little kindergartner, to stand up and proudly announce that I was one of Jehovah's witnesses and I didnt salute the flag. Man that boils my blood.

Sorry, I know I went off on a tangent. But yah, I'm embarrassed that I was ever a part of Jehovah's witnesses, period.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Incognigo - Your thoughts below are mines too.

Yah, I was embarrassed to be associated with Jehovah's witnesses, period. Being a spectacle almost every day in school, because you didnt salute the flag, day the pledge, participate in birthdays or holidays. Constantly being made to stand out, for percieved negative reasons, while not being allowed to make a solid friendship with anyone around you. Constantly being embarrassed, yet getting good at hiding it, and learning how to hide in plain sight, or avoid those situations altogether.

But yah, I'm embarrassed that I was ever a part of Jehovah's witnesses, period.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I think that's the whole point of most of those beliefs and practices, it's about making you out yourself so you don't get to connect with other people and that makes it all the more appealing when they talk about those people dying, you don't like them anyway, they make fun of you and mistreat you.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

My wife and I went to New York to tour Bethel in 2006 with a group of 8 JW's from our Hall. We went around the city and did some sight seeing as well. As we were walking along in Times Square behind our group, we realized that they were the fattest people on the street....everyone of them was overweight and they were all walking along eating something. Even though they were youngish, they were having trouble with all of the walking. We had to stop so they could buy cheap flip flops for several of the sisters to wear because their feet were aching.

We went into the famous Katz Deli and the line of people was all the way out the door and out onto the sidewalk. When we finally got inside, one of the women in the group ordered one of their specialties but began telling the guy behind the counter specifically how to make her sandwich, which didn't go over well.

It was like a scene from the "Soup Nazi" episode of "Seinfeld" . The man shouted in his NY accent " Lady...you come into here our Deli and tell us how to make a sandwich...do you see that line of people waiting to get in here ? N E X T !!!"

We were on a City Bus and while the Bus was in motion, one of the women went up and started asking the bus driver if he could stop at a certain street to let us out. He shouted at her for talking to him while he was driving and told her to go back and sit down.

We had a nice time but yeah....we were embarrassed a lot on that trip.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

My Mom embarrasses me a little, but she's old, so I put up with it.

Part of the job.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit