Suggestions for bookreading

by CitizenofEarth 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• CitizenofEarth
    CitizenofEarth

Hello there

I just read the "Atheists book of Bible Stories" by Fred Titanich, and i rather enjoyed it. Alot indeed. Do you have any suggestions for books that touches the same subject? Everything related to the Bible and/or JW doctrine, coupled with true objectivity and research would be great.

Thank you in advance!

CoE

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

"The End of Faith" and "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris. Great reads in the same line of books.

• venus
    venus

You will find this problem with every scriptures because they are not meant for literal reading just like currencies are not meant to be viewed as just a piece of paper. Talking snake, talking donkey ... are the clues that they are not literal. What is being conveyed matters not the means through which it is conveyed. Here is a sample how I benefit from scriptures:

In the OT, Joseph was sold by his own brothers out of jealousy which backfired on them later—the very thing they wanted to not happen (fulfillment of Joseph’s dream) happened. This teaches you would reap what you sowed / thought. Good story—whether true or false.

In the NT, Jesus reaped what he did not sow. In spite of the good things he did for them, they returned evil to him. This too is good story whether true or false because it teaches us a practical lesson: You do your duty without having expectation of others because people act according to their liking.

Both the principles are needed for our lives:

One teaches where we should have expectation (expect results for everything I do), and the

other teaches where we should not have expectation (don’t have expectation about others)

• cofty
    cofty

Whose Word is it? by Bart Ehrman is an interesting read.

Also 'God's Problem' by the same author.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

This is a MUST READ!
    Funny I read it on my iPad during meetings while still and elder.

https://www.amazon.com/Godless-Evangelical-Preacher-Americas-Atheists/dp/1569756775

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins.

It totally dismantles and disposes of the creationist argument.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

You will find this problem with every scriptures because they are not meant for literal reading just like currencies are not meant to be viewed as just a piece of paper. Talking snake, talking donkey ... are the clues that they are not literal. What is being conveyed matters not the means through which it is conveyed. Here is a sample how I benefit from scriptures:

In the OT, Joseph was sold by his own brothers out of jealousy which backfired on them later—the very thing they wanted to not happen (fulfillment of Joseph’s dream) happened. This teaches you would reap what you sowed / thought. Good story—whether true or false.

In the NT, Jesus reaped what he did not sow. In spite of the good things he did for them, they returned evil to him. This too is good story whether true or false because it teaches us a practical lesson: You do your duty without having expectation of others because people act according to their liking.

Both the principles are needed for our lives:

One teaches where we should have expectation (expect results for everything I do), and the

other teaches where we should not have expectation (don’t have expectation about others)

What a load of crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit