Thankful for our community of friends!

by stuckinarut2 9 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I just wanted to express a sincere thanks for the amazing community of friends we have built up thanks to sites like this.

The genuine people we can now call TRUE FRIENDS is outstanding.

To all those who are newly awakening, or are just starting to contemplate a life outside of the JW bubble, please be reassured that you will indeed make good friends if you put yourself out there.

True,not every ex-Jw will be an instant friend. You will not click with everyone. But as with life in general, if you put in the effort, a new circle of genuine friends exist out there!

Attend meet ups, join FB groups, show sincere interest in others, and things will work out so well. In fact, you will look back at the so called friends you had while IN the religion, and shake your head in wonderment as to how shallow or superficial and conditional those bonds were.

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks so much, stuckinarut. We all need a reminder that we are here to find support and give support.

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

AmenĀ²

• sparky1
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped

Absolutely! And I want to say that it's beyond the ex-JW community. You can make friends anywhere. Put yourself out there, accept invitations to things, and although it's uncomfortable at first just go. We've made so many friends doing this.

Also, a word of advice from someone on my podcast that really struck me with this. We all came from the same dysfunctional environment so we're often deficient in the same ways. It's important to make friends outside the ex-JW community that can help us be more "normal", that can stretch us and help us grow in new ways.

Still, there's nothing like being able to talk about this stuff with people that get us on a level that no outsider can ever do.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well said dubstepped!

It is so vital to have NORMAL "worldly" friends. Yes, do not limit oneself to just the ex-jw community when trying to build a network

• caves
    caves

I have laughed, cried, got pissed, triggered, relieved, happy, felt validated, and so much more here. I needed to feel all these emotions in the raw. Sometimes it all gets to me because it cuts to close to the bone, but It is an extremely valuable place. I have learned and still am learning so much.

My life shifted when I came here. I am understanding myself in ways I never knew. Thank you to everyone.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I have to agree stuck, what a joy to have sensible worldly friends and sensible and supportive posters on this site.

The controversial ones are a good ingredient here also; to challenge our preconceptions--something never permitted in JW land.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

"Best life SITE ever!"

The only way anyone can truly understand what you are going through when you discover TTATT is to have already gone down that road.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

A well known expression came to mind too:

"To have friends, we need to be a friend"

So, that inspires me each day to reach out and support others and just be a friend - especially to those who may be newly escaping the JW Organisation.

For those that are new - we are here for you all!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit