Did Ray Franz manage to live out a comfortable retirement from the proceeds of his books.

by joe134cd 35 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I should have said books are not CDs. Inasmuch as book sales are holding up much better than sales of CDs, DVDs and other physical media. So far anyway.

Pirate ebooks are not as devastating for book sales as pirate music is in the music industry.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh now i got ya ;) /endgoodnaturedsmartassery
  • Olivia Wilde
    Olivia Wilde
    I am not too sure but I found it very sad that when he moved out from bethal he was looking into having a baby with his wife, since she was younger than him, but couldn't because I believe she was over the child bearing age and difficult for her to get pregnant. But I think he did receive sooo much support from all who he helped awaken.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

slimboyat: "Who owns the copyright?"

I wish I knew. There will always be a niche market for that book although I think that only a few thousand per year would be the maximum sales. Also, royalties on paperback books are usually less than 10%.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I appreciate Blondie's information on this subject. I can appreciate that Ray Franz may have wished he made more money but probably was not upset to know how much people loved what he wrote. Praise for your book and knowing that people are helped by it- that's priceless.

I had hopes of making money as an author (and it's still possible), not so much as a living, but as a supplement to my career. Because of my current JW situation, my book about my experiences has not been promoted at all. I think I have made $500 or so on it just by putting it on Amazon at a very low price. I decided if I couldn't be "out there" with my book, I would rather that it's more affordable and more people read it.

I met someone who said they read my book "first" before the standard books like CoC. I read COMBATTING CULT MIND CONTROL first, and I know what that first book meant to me. I met someone who said they read portions of my book to their JW spouse because the spouse would not read "doctrine" but would listen to a personal story without that. I can say that these people's comments (and a few others) totally humbled me.

I am not pushing my book here. I am just saying I highly believe that Ray Franz got quite a reward for what he wrote. I wish he made more money from it. But that is what that is. I can also say that while I would love to have a million dollars from the writing of my book, I wouldn't have taken a million dollars from Watchtower to not write it.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

A poster mentioned that only the big and well known authors can make money and, as a published author, I can tell you that it's damn near impossible just to get your book noticed let alone bought. Amazon must have a literal million books which simply swamp any one book in particular no matter how ingenious you try to get with search words and other tactics.

I still have my first royalty check which I want to frame instead of cashing it. It's for $32.

For the sake of vanity and self glorification here it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit