Did you like hymns as a jw?

by jean-luc picard 35 Replies latest jw friends

• prologos
    prologos

jean-luc picard
    24 minutes ago

I like so many of the songs you've mentioned.

I really should learn la marseillaise..

Yes, learn to play it on the instrument of your choice or to only hum the hymn. The words are biblical though:

Let impure blood Water our furrows "Qu'un sang impur Abreuve nos sillons"

to the music stick, . the lyrics make you sick.

• Clambake
    Clambake

I can’t say I really have a favorite hymm but I have always thought it was kind of odd that each Cong seems to have its own band. Usually just over the hillers who like to play CCR and Beatles covers at JW socials. Only in JW world could secular music be better than worship music. You would literally get in more trouble having a Jars of Clay or P.O.D cd than a Slayer disc.

As for Kingdom melodies, Fuck they suck. They should be used at Gitmo bay to get info from terrorists.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    I find them cold. Reminds me of Sundays when I was a child and I hated Sunday more than Saturday
  • rebel8
    rebel8
    Yes, some that I remember from pre-borgification are Ave Maria, Kumbaya, and Amazing Grace.
  • disillusioned 2
    disillusioned 2
    All things bright and beautiful, I loved that as a kid. Also loved carols. Still do.
  • moley
    moley
    Always been partial to Abide with me. Nice tune
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Amazing Grace.
  • talesin
    talesin

Amazing Grace and the Huron Christmas Carol - haunting melodies.

Clambake - I remember our local band .... they spent about an hour or two 'tuning up' their instruments before they played at weddings and 'get-togethers'. : P I did love the fiddling music, when they finally got started.

t

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    I like Be thou my vision, and The water is wide
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

Good music is good music. I liked hymns better than kingdom maladies. When I was a believer still, I left the WBT$ and went to church. The music was much better by miles. No gormless drones about 'obey men'. No austere, cold dirges about Lazarus in the grave.

Now I am an atheist, I still enjoy listening to Evensong at the Cathedral when I'm bored.

If you like a particular kind of music, you just like it. Personal taste is not something that can be mandated. We're not in North Korea.................yet!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit