Did you like hymns as a jw?

by jean-luc picard 35 Replies latest jw friends

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I was just explaining to mrs picard........ never a jw, and not english, how we used to celebrate the harvest festival, when I was 7 and younger, before my parents converted to jw'ism.

I loved to sing "we plough the fields and scatter". Of course, singing such hymns is, to a jw, paramount to apostasy,with the death penalty like punishment the ensued.

How really stupid their harsh rules.

Did you have any favourite hymns?

I think we would all agree, that they beat the pants off the "kingdom melodies"

• Ucantnome
  • Simon
    Simon

I used to like the sally army's brass band that would play outside Tesco over Xmas.

Just something timeless about some of the pieces.

Some hymns sound quite majestic and moving (what they are intended to be) especially when a rugby crowd is singling them.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    Many hymns evoke emotional response and really stick with people. My mom's final clear memories were the wors to hymns, not a single kingdom melody, but the old hymns from her childhood.
  • jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

dropoffyourkeylee...

lol. hope it will be the same for my mum.that would be one in the eye for the rest of the family

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard
    simon: I just love christmas carols. I had forgotten about the salvation army bands though. They do add a bit of ambiance.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Always loved Amazing Grace, and although not hymns (lol) loved some of the songs from Jesus Christ Superstar and strangely the theme song and music from Vicar of Dibley I found myself humming along to. The kingdom melodies were like dry, stale bread in comparison.

How ironic, I thought, this so-called worldly/babs the great music was more stirring emotionally than their crappy songs of praise to the "only true God."

• The Rebel
    The Rebel
    Yes.
  • prologos
    prologos
    the English and german national Anthems "hymns", if you will, Pomp and circumstance, La Marseillaise? if you need to be stirred out of bed. jesus, man's desire -- for the melody only as for all above. playing them all the time.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    No, I don't like hymns. They induce thought and mind-control just like the Borg uses music tones and lyrics to control it's members.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit