Evolution is a Fact #19 - Goosebumps

by cofty 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    I always thought the point of goosebumps was to warm you up when you're cold, like shivering.

Shivering does warm you up. If somebody is so cold they have stopped shivering they are in trouble. The arectores pilorum muscles are not involved in shivering at all. It is your big skeletal muscles that move rapidly to generate heat.

Do other apes get goosebumps I wonder. Because they are hairy.

Yep that what makes their hair stand on end to trap heat. Exactly the same reaction we have except we have puny hair so it doesn't actually help.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Exactly the same reaction we have except we have puny hair so it doesn't actually help.

You don't have any Greek relatives do you Bill?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    Hairy pussies, titter titter....
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Interesting OP.

I get goosebumps when I listen to emotional music ... weird.

• Island Man
    Island Man

When I was in primary school there was this girl that sometimes helped me out with my work in class. It gave me goose bumps and a pleasant feeling at the back of my neck moving up to my head.

It wasn't sexual, mind you. It was just . . . I don't know how to put it . . . weird in a positive way like a non-sexual arousal that comes from being helped or pampered by a friendly, nurturing human being.

It might be a vestigial feeling that was present in social animal ancestors that groom each other and pick out insects from each other's coats. The pleasant feeling and the goose bumps that sometimes come when a human is pampering you probably served to raise hairs so that the pampering grooming partner can more easily see ticks and other insects and pick them out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit