Shunning and the Equality act 2010

by UnshackleTheChains 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

.Hi all,

For those of you here in the UK, Just wondered if the shunning policy within the Jehovah's witnesses contravenes the Equality Act 2010.

For example, as the ibsa comes under a religious ethos, it would considered a service of sorts, and if it were proven they discriminated against someone due to difference in beliefs, could a case be brought against them.

For example, if an individual (a jdub)) employs quite a number of witnesses; He decides to leave the watchtower and join another church; but then all his employees suddenly leave as they follow the watchtower line and shun him. This could be viewed as discriminatory, the blame for which rests solely with watchtower.
    What do you think?

:

• cofty
    cofty

I think an individual JW could fall foul of the law if they refused to serve an ex-JW but I can't see how the Organisation could be held to account.

It might be interesting if an ex-JW did try to frequent a JW-owned business and see if they are discriminated against.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I believe cofty is on the right track. If you can prove elders will dis-fellowship someone if that keeps working for or talking to a dis-fellowship'ed individual, than I believe a case could be made. Everyone knows the threat is real and yet, strangely enough, the only time I have actually heard it put in practice was with Ray Franz!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit