JWs destroy archaelogical artifacts

by John Doe 38 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This story is so unbelievable. Why would J W's spend their time smashing up an archaelogical site when their sole focus is in doing their "ministry"?

Having spent a lifetime in or around this movement, I can say that it is totally against the ethos of J W's. Stories like this in the media give grounds for A Morris 3rd to sound off about "wild stories against us" . It means that when legitimate criticism is made about child abuse, the faithful dismiss it as biased propaganda

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Bluebrothers: Why would J W's spend their time smashing up an archaelogical site when their sole focus is in doing their "ministry"?

Cultural background of the JW converts...and the surrounding culture

Add WTS doctrine...stir and mix...pour

*and maybe they wanted to set up their carts on the site and were denied...retaliation maybe

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Even if the folks that did this choose to call themselves JWs, it should be said in fairness that this type of stupidity is not endorsed by the cult.

Probably a handful of new converts who somehow think they will now save the world.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

I agree with OrphanCrow on this.

BluesBrother, you must remember the vast difference between JW's in North America and Latin America...

Many times things are overlooked when JW's are "new". They might be long-term studies, not yet baptized or recently baptized. Knowing JW's in the area the story is TOTALLY plausible.

I regret it to this day, but one time I rented a non-JW apartment and they had TONS of crosses and stuff, and it freaked me out. So I placed those things in a bag outside the apartment and then someone took them away. The owners were understandably really pissed because some of them were multi-generational gifts.

I was completely in at the time and now I deeply regret that I did that.

• OrphanCrow
  • cobweb
  • John Doe
    John Doe

BluesBrother, we've got multiple news sources, including the New York times, reporting this article, and we have multiple former members telling about their own actions that were similar. What facts exactly would make this occurrence seem "legitimate" to you?

And by the way, more than a few of us have spent lifetimes around this organization.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Regardless of whether the local JW are responsible for this act of vandalism or not, the incident, by the accusations alone, exposes a deep clash between the indigenous culture and the shiny blue square iconed American jworg culture

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

When I was a kid (9 year old), I went to my school during the summer and sacked the class room of a teacher that persecuted me for being a JW. I thought I was real smart until later down in life, I realized that it was the janitor that had been impacted the most by my actions.

• jws
    jws

The GB having anything to do with this? No way. They didn't tell anybody to do it, they didn't organize it. If they were like this, there'd be WAY more JW crimes than this.

*IF* this is real, I believe it's localized. And this is South America, not North America. I don't know where this is exactly, but it's still a continent that contains tribes of people living as they did thousands of years ago. I may be bigoted, but I believe there's areas that aren't well educated and a religious Christian message (from whatever the religion) may cause them to damage these historical sites.

Let's not forget, the Catholics led the way in ridding the pre-existing religions from not only South America, but all over the globe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit