Is Reading/Writing about Mythologies bad?

by Messhy 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    @Xanthippe.
    Homer is good but he spends too much time lazing around on the sofa for my liking.

doh! @ freddo

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Your inviting Satan into your living room.
  • Island Man
    Island Man

No. I think mythologies are actually a good way to write about sensitive social issues without offending the audience. For example, imagine you're trying to teach Palestinians and Israelis about the need to stop the attacks and reprisals.

If you do a movie about Palestinians and Israelis then one or both sides in the real life conflict might accuse you of supporting the other side and not take your movie seriously at all or take offense at it.

But if you do a mythological story about two alien clans fighting for control of a particular planet ...

So mythology can serve as a means of teaching important lessons that address real-world sensitive issues, without directly referencing the those involved and offending them.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Is reading and writing about bible mythologies bad ?

That Yahweh god was pretty bad and mean if you read what he'd done and is going to do again pretty soon according to his earthly spokespersons the JWS ???

• Spectre
    Spectre

I love me my myths! I have most everything that Joseph Campbell has written about them and a bunch of other books on the subject. If you haven't seen the dvd of him being interviewed by Bill Moyers, I highly recommend that you do.

I've sort or "taken back" the bible as I now only see it as nothing but Jewish mythology and appreciate it in that sense.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Spectre...

Same.

I thoroughly enjoyed Noah and Exodus: Gods and Kings for precisely that reason.

I do understand that many XJWs wouldn't be able to, however, as they'd find the films too anxiety-triggering.

• olongapo joe
    olongapo joe
    Kind of an odd topic, for a first time poster.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Messhy - "Is reading/writing about mythologies bad?"

'Course not.

Even the Bible writers did it. :smirk:

• Kick50r
    Kick50r

Hello Messhy and welcome to the forum.

" Is Reading/Writing about Mythologies bad?" Well , I hope is not bad as I like and always liked reading about several Mythologies.

Was, for example by reading Egyptian Mythology that interested me in Sumerian Mythology that I found the most interesting one "Gilgamesh Epic" that I would advise you to read , if you haven't already.

I think , the problem is , when some people call MYTHOLOGY the truth.

Take Care

• Spectre
    Spectre

Vidiot- I haven't seen Exodus yet. Eventually I will. I did see the Noah one with Russell Crowe. I wasn't crazy about that one.

I did really like The DaVinci Code. The other book about Mary Magdalene, Holy Blood Holy Grail is really good. Like I said, I only like them for the archetype and the story possibilities.

Bill Moyers has a great book interviewing several people about the meanings of Old Testament stories. I can't remember the name right now, I have it at home somewhere at home amongst stacks of books....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit