Is Reading/Writing about Mythologies bad?

by Messhy 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Read about the Pantheon of El the high God of the Canaanites and all his 70 offspring. Then ask yourself how this God is not Jehovah.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Ironic that hardcore JWs disapprove of mythology, considering what they subscribe to. :smirk:
  • Divergent
    Divergent

How do you know that Jehovah is not a myth?

Genuine question

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I believe in Jehovah but I'm about to write about other Deities. I can discern fantasy and reality

Apparently you might not, what you haven't realized or accepted that the ancient Hebrews has their own unique mythological expressions, as what can be observed in the Torah or throughout the bible..

From Genesis to Revelation this ancient civilization created their own necessary and desirous need to create power and relevance toward their select god, distinguishable from other civilizations.

If you believe that investigating other mythical story telling by uniquely different civilizations is going to anger the almighty Hebrew god and displease him, perhaps then you shouldn't.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Divergent...

You don't, obviously.

Genuine answer.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Finkelstein - "If you believe that investigating other mythical story telling by uniquely different civilizations is going to anger the almighty Hebrew god and displease him, perhaps then you shouldn't."

Or...

...if your authoritarian, genocidal Old Testament God will be angered if you investigate other mythical stories from uniquely different civilizations, then perhaps you should.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

You say it better Vidiot , thanks for the correction

• Simon
    Simon
    The more you read and study other mythologies the more you see how the bible myths are just another set and often follow similar patterns. Some of the stories caught on and became the "harry potter" successful best sellers and others died out with the people behind them or just bubble along as recognized myths because there weren't people with swords telling people to believe it or else.
  • Giordano
    Giordano

God is silent on everything so I doubt he or she would be upset with you looking into your favorite subject.

Now the Society is a different matter. They demand obedience to what ever new lite they have dreamed up. So I would keep your hobby private.

Even though I think they should cut you some slack considering the book of Revelation which is a pretty good example of mythology.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This reminds me of the many factions of control the WTS heads impose onto its members to control their thinking and social behavior, such as what music they should listen to, what books they should read, what education they should pursue, who you should associate with.

I even heard of JWS not wanting to buy old antique furniture or paintings because they were in fear that evil spirits may be attached to the pieces.

Fear and the utilization of fear is a large compelling influence to control people and the WTS used it well to their advantage on many levels.

Of course it also has to be realized that they themselves are subjected to those subsequent FEAR controls that the " Organization " has propagated for many years.

Fear, superstition and ignorance its apart of the relgoius experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit