Is Reading/Writing about Mythologies bad?

by Messhy 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Messhy
    Messhy

As the topic title says, Is Reading/Writing about Mythologies bad? I read alot of Mythologies and Enjoy it. Should i stop?

I enjoyed reading fantasy stories and most of it include mythologies. Be it Slavic ,Norse, Greco-Roman, Shinto Myths, Buddhist Stories, Egyptian Native American and African Folklores And I'm about to try and write one. Should i stop? I believe in Jehova but I'm about to write about other Deities. I can discern fantasy and reality. And to those who believe in those Myths. Or should i say Pantheons? Sorry to you and I respect your beliefs. But i believe in Jehova. So is writing and reading about it bad? When I can discern fantasy and reality. Is it a sin? Should i stop?

On a Side Note, I asked a lot of questions huh. Anyway this is my first time here i don't know the exact subject area.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Welcome Messhy ,glad you have found your way here. Should you stop investigating mythologies ? no way .

And don`t apologize for asking a lot of questions , how would we increase our knowledge /understanding of anything if we didn`t ask questions,

My question to you in all seriousness is , how do you discern fantasy from reality ?

You enjoy reading fantasy and mythologies ,and you say you believe in Jehovah , so how have you proved that Jehovah is not a fantasy and a myth ,?

Just asking

smiddy

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Welcome Messhy. I enjoy Greek and Roman mythology. Homer is wonderful. I've also read some modern fantasy novels. There's nothing wrong with using your imagination and being creative. Good luck with your story.
  • freddo
    freddo

@Messhy

Welcome. Enjoy what you do.

@Xanthippe.

Homer is good but he spends too much time lazing around on the sofa for my liking.

• Messhy
    Messhy
    @smiddy How Do i Discern Fantasy and Reality.. The answer is quite vague if you asked me the answer makes me seem crazy. My Answer is my 5 Senses My Eyes even if it fools me. My ear even if it's lies. What my skin feel even when it's numb. What i taste even if it's bitter and what it smell even if it's odorless. and if other people felt it too it's even more real. However how I discern reality most is if it's a Fact and I believe it. The Bible is full of facts. My sister said bible knew about the world is round even before Ferdinand Magellan ventured it. Gravity even when Isaac Newton presented it. But most of all is because i Believe in it. I have faith in Jehova even if others call me Crazy
  • GodZoo
    GodZoo

Myth/Mythology

noun

1. ‘a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining a natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.’

That definition covers the entire Bible, all of religion and all the doctrines, writings and teachings of the JW organisation so no carry on your just fine.

• tornapart
    tornapart
    As a JW child I always loved to read mythologies, especially the Roman and Greek. I also used to love fairy stories. (My mum never knew, I just picked them up from the library). Guess I used to read the bible the same way. To me the stories in the bible seemed the same. Yet I used to believe they were all true, that the mythological stories were something to do with pre-flood times. I think maybe some stories were based on real events but exaggerated until they became unreal and more to do with someone's imagination like a sci-fi story. Whatever they are, they're fun to read.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    It makes Jehovah sad. :smirk:
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel

@Messhy first off welcome and I'm glad you made it in.

Ask yourself why do humans like music? Why do most enjoy a good movie? Songs can be full of fantasy and most movies are pure fiction.

So why if we know going in that they are well to put it bluntly fake, do we enjoy them so? The mind is quite the interesting organ. It needs fact. It needs to know or be in the know you might say. If we don't have fact or understand it can actually drive us mad. We are constantly in search for things.

However that all said why do you dream? Dreams can be utter fiction and make zero sense. So why do we have them if they are not reality?

The bottom line is we all need shut down time. It simply isn't healthy to be full go all the time. Much like any machine if you run it non-stop and never let it cool down eventually it will break.

Personally I believe we are no different. Our brains need down time. So when we go to a movie and relax for a couple hours I actually believe that this is very healthy. That down time allows us to shut down a bit and let our mind rest.

So in this long winded way what I'm saying is read whatever you like. Is it possible for what we read to influence us, of course but to act as though the minute you read this or that it means x is in my mind fantasy in of itself.

I've long played first person shooter games. I love the strategy of it. I actually find it relaxing. Some will say oh there's blood on the screen or those sorts of games cause you to one day go postal and mow people down with an AR15, well I say that is utter horse pucky.

I have plenty of weapons There's not been a single second where I thought ya know I'll roll into the local Starbucks tomorrow and take target practice at everyone's caramel macchiatos...lol.

The point being we are all perfectly capable of disseminating between fiction and reality and in fact need both.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

What an odd question. Why on earth do you need permission from strangers an internet forum on what to read?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit