Another generation....

by joey jojo 241 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

It is very disappointing IF no one is alive when the disgusting thing appears who also saw the sign in 1914 who therefore witnesses ALL OF THE SIGN. But it aint how I see it. It is all greek to me.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Will not pass way until all these things occur-the sign.
  • prologos
    prologos

F: "-- the GT is not part of the sign ponting to it.--" so: Did Jesus say the generation will not pass away before all the sign occurs, --or "not pass away" before all, all events, including the jerusalem destruction, end of the world occurs ?

So, was the destruction of jerusalem, the temple, just a sign of bad or good things to come,-- or the real thing? is Armageddon just a sign or the real thing?  in other words sign of what? 

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

The anointed can not be the generation Jesus talked about. it is resolved!

They can. I am not convinced. I am not saying that they are for sure.

• prologos
    prologos

Fisherman, your conviction stands and falls now on the understanding of what Jesus meant when he said : all these things that are destined to occur. what happened in Jerusalem, to the temple??, the all is all embracing, not just a precursor sign.

The anointed generation has too short an advertised shelf life to be real.

• Lieu
    Lieu

It's simple really. If you don't see it all you are not who he was referring to.

This is not brain surgery.

Also, "the last days", as the apostles understood it were happening in their time. See what Peter says to the crowds on Pentecost when they think the disciples are drunk (concerning their speaking in other languages). It's in Acts chapter 2. He's referring to the things happening right there and then.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Jw are witnesses are they not?

What I meant from my previous post where I posted this comment is. That the name Jehovah's Witnesses is based on Isaiah 43:12 and in the book Jehovah's Witnesses Proclaimers of God's Kingdom it tells how in the 1920's the Bible Students became 'increasingly aware of the deep significance' of this scripture and the 'responsibility to bear witness to Jehovah's name and his Kingdom' (page 79)

In the book "All Scripture Is Inspired Of God and Beneficial" it says regarding this passage in Isaiah

'With court in session, he orders the nations to produce witnesses to clear their gods'

I understand it to be, from this like a court room setting.

In the book The Oxford Companion To The Bible (Oxford University Press 1993) page 806

In the New Testament the witness theme is central in the gospel of John, Acts and Revelation. In John's gospel, God in Christ has a controversy with the world. A cosmic lawsuit is underway, and each side presents its evidence and argues its case.

So it seems to me that when in 1922 this was said

The speaker, J. F. Rutherford, then president of the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, quoted to the assembled thousands Isaiah 43:8-12 (AV) and then proceeded to say:
    Thus we see that those of the temple class are clearly designated as the Lord's witnesses at this time, to bring a message of consolation to the people, that the kingdom of heaven is here, and that millions now living will never die.

and this was excerpt taken from the Babylon book in 1963 mentioned in a previous post of mine under the heading of the Good News and a Judgement Message and ties I believe to the generation teaching that was changed. It was preached/ witnessed about in a courtroom setting and cannot easily be dismissed.

The apostle Paul stated in Corinthians 15

'But if Christ has not been raised up, our preaching is certainly in vain, and your faith is also in vain. 15 Moreover, we are also found to be false witnesses of God, because we have given witness against God by saying that he raised up the Christ, whom he did not raise up if the dead are really not to be raised up. (NWT 2013)'

As they quoted from 1 Corinthians 15 in regard to the generation teaching mentioned in my previous post.

Man's Salvation Out of World Distress At Hand(1975 Watchtower), I believe we studied this book after 1975 probably 1976, it says on page 28.

So much depended upon Messiah's resurrection, and the apostle Paul had suffered so much persecution for preaching it, that if Paul were a liar, then, as he wrote...
    So, too, with our generation in this twentieth century. After all that we have gone through since 1914, our generation would be, of all generations, the "most to be pitied".
    Think of it, though! Worthy ones of this generation of mankind will be saved alive out of the rest of this world distress so as to survive the worst of it and enter into God's Messianic new system of things and not need a resurrection from the dead to life on earth! This is a valid hope well founded on what was said by Jesus Christ..."

and witnessing/preaching is in a courtroom setting hence the truth, witnesses/ the 'mouthpiece and active agent of Jehovah' I find it difficult to see how

'And what I mean by convinced does not mean that wt theology is error free or understanding exactly the truth -but that God's Holy Spirit trumps. Fisherman'

and this

'My post was not intended to enlighten you. One does not become enlightened from others, one can learn from others though. But proof, evidence than can be verified, comes from God. That evidence that I refer to is God's Holy Spirit that trumps. If you do not see it, I cannot show it you because it is God that enlightens a person.'

As it I feel I would have to view what the apostle Paul said in the same light, but then we would be back to not claiming inspiration.

• prologos
    prologos

Uncantnome: can you move that last post  to the other thread, and then erase it? this is about the generation, not the name.

Fisherman, you might think we are pedantic in showing that "all these things " mean just that, all, and not just the sign of an invisible, even impending presence, {remember, in wt doctrine Jesus does not come, invisibly to sit down for judgement ,--until the great tribulation, 2075. !).  wt doctrine depends after all on where you place 1 comma, 4 letters later or not. That translation detail separates the immortality of the  soul from the sleep/death idea. so, details matter, and wt theology is not right, There is something seriously wrong with it, now that reality is catching up with it. sadly. 

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

no I can't, but i will not comment any more on this thread prologos or any other after the next post.

This is about the generation teaching 

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

As it I feel I would have to view what the apostle Paul said in the same light, but then we would be back to not claiming inspiration.

In the first century the good news preached about Christ by the apostles after the out pouring of Holy spirit as is spoken of in Acts 2 and i believe 1 Corinthians was written after this.The way that I understand it is that this scripture in Acts 2:17 where it talks of the pouring out God's spirit and they'will prophesy' which verse 16 shows to be quoting from the book of Joel is fulfilled in the remnant of anointed Christians from 1919 and the good news in Matthew 24 of which the Witnesses preach was realised in 1920.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit