Ex-Mormon talks about cognitive dissonence

by LevelThePlayingField 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

This guy gets right to the point and talks about how Mormons deny truth and their phraseology. Very similar to JW's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLUpmKDfhlU

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The two Cults are very similar in their methods. Maybe one day they will amalgamate.

• kpop
    kpop

Well said. Both the JW and Mormons are cults. If anyone disagrees then they do not know anything about either cult. There is not much to say.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Yeah, he sounds like someone who would know! I agree many LDS aren't up on the things they should be, and I'm the first that would criticize them, but I've been LDS for 45 years, and this guy's doing a strawman. They're are three fairly recent, and critical, books on Mountain Meadows, and none of them point the finger at Brigham Young as the one that ordered the massacre. The reason? He had nothing to gain and everything to lose. He had no love for those who were massacred -- they were of the same stock as those who murdered, raped and pillaged the saints in Missouri. But when he learned there was conflict, he sent a personal message to the church leaders telling them to leave the people alone and let them pass.

Cognitive dissonance works in both directions and all religions, even atheism, wrestles with it. But this guy is just like the peckerhead who gets up in front of his congregation and boasts about how he bested an evolutionist who wasn't able to withstand his creationist arguments.

It's like the fable of the statue of Hercules beating the lion. It all depends on who's creating the sculpture. Honesty rarely enters the debate.

• cofty
    cofty

According to you Cold Steel every criticism of the Mormon church is a strawman.

You sound exactly the same as the way JWs dismiss the testimony of ex-JWs and Muslims hate ex-Muslims.

Google "ex-Mormon forum" to discover the truth about Joe Smith's disciples. It's a dark and depressing world in Mormonland. Thousands of ex-Mormons can't be lying.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Not every criticism. Even first century Christianity had its problems (as does organic evolution). The important thing is that we not deny them, but recognize them. I've seen some Mormons try to deal with problems, but ineffectively. If modern Christians and Mormons say there are no problems, they're only deceiving themselves. I know of no religion or scientific theories that has zero problems.

• cofty
    cofty

Calling the risible nonsense that is Mormon dogma "a problem" is hilarious.

• baker
    baker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuSde2jGhm8 Every time I hear the mormons mentioned, I always think of Donnie and Marie Osmond and how innocently they follow their leaders, even in segregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit