JW football player arrested for drugs

by RunningMan 2 Replies latest forum announcements

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Some of you may remember a while back, I posted a topic about a football player who is a JW. He even missed part of training camp because he was at the disctrict convention. Well, that was last year. This year, he told reporters that he is a "non-practicing JW". I guess that means inactive. Well, he has now been charged with possession of drugs. (I know, just marijuana, which in Canada is like a parking ticket - but it should get him df'd). Here is the article. I have posted it entirely, because this newspaper does not archive after the first day. Peoples facing drug charge Rider star accused of possessing pot

Darrell Davis
    The Leader-Post
    Shont'e Peoples preferred to talk on his cellphone Monday, instead of speaking to reporters who wanted to know more about his drug troubles.

Defensive end Shont'e Peoples faces an uncertain future with the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders as he responds to marijuana possession charges today in a Saskatoon courtroom.

Peoples, 31, was charged following an incident on July 26 in downtown Saskatoon, according to Insp. Lorne Constantinoff of the Saskatoon Police Service. He was released after being charged with possession of less than 30 grams of marijuana.

This will be Peoples' second appearance in provincial court after requesting an adjournment on Aug. 12.

Details surrounding the incident are sketchy, although it occurred the day following a Roughriders home game and apparently coincided with a visit Peoples made to promote a rap song he recorded with several teammates. No other criminal charges were laid, Constantinoff said.

"The way the police department is looking at it: We realize he's a sports celebrity,'' Constantinoff said. "We want to make sure he can have a fair trial, so we're being very guarded.''

Peoples would not discuss his situation after returning to Regina following Sunday's CFL game in Montreal, where the Roughriders lost 28-23 to the Alouettes.

"That's something right now that I'm not even going to comment about,'' Peoples told reporters after arriving at Regina Airport on Monday afternoon. He referred further inquiries to his lawyer, Jonathan Troyer.

Peoples will apparently be represented today by someone from Troyer's Regina-based firm.

Troyer would not discuss further matters because he has "been instructed to not make any comments about the situation.''

A not-guilty plea results in a trial. Although the federal government plans to decriminalize marijuana possession, anyone convicted of the offence usually receives a fine under $2,000.

Roughriders' head coach Danny Barrett and general manager Roy Shivers both claimed they knew nothing about Peoples' situation before Monday.

"I'm being bombarded with something that I don't know anything about,'' Barrett said at the airport. "So in fairness to myself and to the organization, until I find out further knowledge I can't make any more comments.''

Barrett would not say what actions might be taken against Peoples. The CFL doesn't have a drug policy, but players can be disciplined for their public actions. Peoples could also miss games if the case goes to trial.

Barrett said he will "see what happens after that.''

Peoples, a nine-year CFL veteran, apparently faces extra disciplinary action for missing a team-imposed curfew the night preceding Sunday's game in Montreal. The loss was the Roughriders' fifth defeat in its last seven games and dropped their record to 7-7. Peoples left the game late in the fourth quarter with a recurring elbow injury.

Peoples joined the Roughriders in 2001 as a free agent. He struggled through an injury-plagued 2002 and requested a trade in the offseason.

When no trade was arranged he vowed to become a team leader and insisted he was now a "non-practising'' Jehovah's Witness. Peoples was a member of the players' committee that earlier this season decided against allowing defensive end Ray Jacobs to return. Jacobs, a longtime teammate, was suspended for "lifestyle problems'' and "binge drinking.''

• Special K
    Special K

interesting ...

Hmm .. I wonder if "Manna" was considered a drug.

special k

p.s. and yes I remember your previous topic post about this guy..

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Well, I guess he's going to go from a non-practicing Jehovah's Witness to a non-Jehovah's Witness. Who would have thought that pot could set one free?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit