Elders = Business?

by Dimples 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Dimples
    Dimples

Is it just me or does it seem as soon as a brother becomes an elder, soon after, he starts his own business? When I was a jw I remember how brothers were struggling to make ends meet and as soon as they became and elder or MS.....all of a sudden they have money to start their own businesses. Along wth it comes.... new cars, home improvements etc. Where is the money coming from? Makes me wonder. Have any of you experienced this in your area?

Dimples

• SM62
    SM62

All the elders in my congregation are rolling in dosh - not sure what that means though!

Terri

• rocketman
    rocketman

In my area, there seemed to be a somewhat "disproportionate" number of jws who had their own businesses, and this seemed to include jws in general.

Since many jws eschewed college in the decades prior to the 90s, I would imagine that many would have started businesses of their own - several started cleaning businesses - due to a lack of secular education beyond high school.

I guess that all one needs to start a business is to find a market for a product or service, and then get a loan. Once the business gets rolling, the money coming in can be appreciable.

Some of the businesses around my area that are jw-owned:

Communications (2)

Home improvements

Window and siding (3)

Real estate

Cleaning - too many to count

Electrical

Auto detailing

Signs and sign painting

Machine repair

Auto mechanic

Plumber

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

We had one elder in the congregation who was always in some kind of business. It was perfumes, sanitary bins, and eventually came back from Sth Africa with a new weight loss business. I can't tell you how much money he made but so many sisters lost so much weight that he had to be making alot. Yet he was the one who would say to put the kingdom first, put more money into the kingdom hall fund, not to work for this system, are we loving material things?? etc, etc. You should have seen the cars he owned, the suits he wore and the house he owned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other elders didn't give the impression they were doing too badly either. Concreting businesses, new homes, holidays etc.

Hypocracy is what it's called I think!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

"hypocrisy" actually!

See ya Saturday, Bliss! Are we having a Freedomfest? Or perhaps we could make a circuit of all these elders!!!!

Cheers, OzzieVisit Smiley Central!

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

Ozzie, thanks for the correction! (blushing). Please bring your spelling book for year 6, it may help!

And we are all looking forward to our little get together. About 8!!!!!!!!!!! The weather should be good too.

See you Saturday and drive safely.

PS: Do you still have our address?

Cheers, Bliss

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Bliss,

I'll check it up on the Record Cards!

Ozzie

• caspian
    caspian

I don't think that Elders having business or money is any more disproportionate than any other sector of society.

and I don't think that there is any secret handshakes or funny business going on.

Cas.

BTW the way any one want their windows cleaning for a special discount.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit