I Hate the Sound of the Word Jehovah

by cofty 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    The phenomenon is called 'trigger words'. High control groups, largely unconsciously, load certain terms with special significance that serves to reinforce group identity or unity. It is strongly recommended that people recovering from the influence of high control groups avoid the terms. For instance, I use the more correct name Yahweh and the term church, rather than the terms the Jws used as intimately associated with them as a group. Also when conversing with JWs using Yahweh and Church helps the conversation be objective.
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I kinda hate it as is someones ass I'd like kick if he existed, He's a no good murdering braggart mother fucker on a great big ego trip.

So I like it when people use the name in a most profane way it gives me sacrilegious pleasure.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Cofty.

We have to be careful not to let our hate for the JW organization affect our views of God and his name. Even Jesus said: "May your Name be kept holy." (Matthew 6:9, CJB)

Malachi 3:16 mentions: "A record book was written in his presence for those who feared ADONAI [the Lord Yahweh] and had respect for his name." (CJB)

The Name of God and the modern Jehovah's Witnesses religion are two different things.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Wonderment - why would anyone respect that piece of crap?
  • never a jw
    never a jw

"The Name of God and the modern Jehovah's Witnesses religion are two different things".

It's all the same: myths that make people feel good and give them purpose in life, but also converts them is arrogant fools. They are also myths that have become so popular that smart, but unscrupulous people capitalize on to exploit the innocent and the weak.

Regarding the name Jehovah, I find it entertaining how people make such a big deal out of a combination of vowels of consonants and the idea that an Almighty Creator of the universe and omniscient being, is concerned about what little humans living in a ultra tiny speck of the universe think about his name. Really?

• cofty
    cofty

Interesting post HB thanks.

I think I have a combination of 1 and 2 but mostly 1

Wonderment - Jesus said a lot of daft things

• Lieu
    Lieu

I feel your pain. It doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me is using what one believes to be God's name in a highly selfish & nefarious manner making it a name to be despised. Now that pisses me off.

Probably why neither Jesus, nor one single apostle ever used "the name". It is not used one single time in the NT. Besides, there's only one name given for Christians to make known ... and it isn't Jehovah.

From a Biblical standpoint, It's like spitting in God's face when you ignore his will; which is to make Christ's name and activities known. JWs aren't ancient Israelites under Mosaic Law. They're supposed to be Christians.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I think hate comes from powerful passions. So hating the name " Jehover" when you do not believe he exists is I assume based on the moral authority people have attached to that name?

If that is the case, it is no small matter, but to hate surrealism is still tragic. The bible to me has created some powerful characters, and if you don't believe in their existence "my" opinion is why hate something that doesn't exist?

The Rebel.

• cofty
    cofty
    if you don't believe in their existence "my" opinion is why hate something that doesn't exist?

The title of the thread and the OP are very concise.

I said "I hate the sound of the word Jehovah"

How hard is that to understand?

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Lieu: "Probably why neither Jesus, nor one single apostle ever used ‘the name". It is not used one single time in the NT."

"Probably" and "ever" in the same sentence seems contradictory.

Jesus taught Christians to pray: "Hallowed be thy name." (Matt 6.9, KJV)

He also said in prayer: "I have manifested thy name..." (John 17.6,KJV)

Jesus spoke in harmony with the prophet Isaiah who wrote centuries earlier: "Praise the LORD [Jehovah or Yahweh], call upon his name." (12.4, KJV)

Lieu: "It is not used one single time in the NT."

This is true only if one removes "Hallelujah" from Revelation 19.1, and further choose to ignore whatever possibility the original manuscripts (now lost or extinct) may differ in various places with the available copies today written after the first century.

Can anyone be 100% certain that the first-century biblical authors when quoting the OT used manuscripts not containing the divine name? A scripture often quoted in the NT is this one from Psalm 110.1: "The declaration of Yahweh to my Lord--Sit thou at my right hand, Until I make thy foes thy footstool." (JB)

It would take a lot of pencil pushing to go from, "Yahweh said to my Lord," to "The Lord said to my Lord" as it appears in extant Greek manuscripts. (Matt 22.41-45)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit