Future Educators of America

by joannadandy 4 Replies latest social current

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I am going to be a teacher of English when I grow up (please don't e-mail me every grammatical error I make here). High school to be exact. This is my final year. I am now in my pedagogy classes. For you lay-persons, it's pretty much learning how to teach.

A really great bunch of people, and I mean that, sit beside me everyday fully aware of the fact that people who drive ice-cream trucks will make more money than us and have more of a positive influence on children then we will. Pavlovian as it may be. Yet we all press on. Convinced we can make a difference. Positive we are the agents of social change. Assured the emotional rewards will outweigh the toll on our psyche.

And yet I can't help but wonder, if statistics are correct, which 10 (out of 30) will not make it to our second year in the schools. After today's display I have an idea who a couple of them might be.

Exhibit A:
    She is a future gym teacher, a Scorpio, and bronze goddess who models on the side. Sadly, she is not as mentally bright as her tan.

Example One: Her "CURRENT" educational issue to report on to the class was Title 9 (passed in 1972 - 8 years before she was born). Her evidence of the sucess of Title 9 was the increase of enrollment and graduation of women from college from 1974-1994. Because we all know NOTHING ELSE but organized sports could be responsible for that increase.

Her other evidence was my LEAST favorite statistic (yes I do have one, so should you). Which is women who participate in sports are 78% less likely to have an unwanted pregnancy. This is a relational study folks. Just because you see two things that happen to the same group of people does not mean one leads to the other. This is what the uppity folks call a causation fallacy. http://www.spalding.edu/faculty/dwheat/sld018.htm

Example Two: When our professor asked us as a class; "When is a time in your career you might rely heavily upon your instructional textbook for information?"
    (Answer the professor was looking for--"the start of my career", other possible answer, "When I have a sub")
    The bronze godess shouted out with glee and mixed with confusion: "Math!"

Exhibit B:
    She is a current dance teacher, turned English major because she likes to read, and the call for dance teachers is a bit low at present.

Example: While discussing in our English Pedagogy class the essential areas to teaching a writing course, this future Martha Grahm shared this gem with the class, "I think it's important to have some sort of discussion and exposure to all the different kinds of writing Jen-rah-s."

I pause dear reader to highlight my thoughts, "Oh my! What is this Jen-rah? My god I have been in school for years and never heard of a Jen-rah!"

Lucky for me no one else had heard of a Jen-rah, and when the professor asked for clarification we realized she meant, Genre. No she is not a native Spanish speaker.

Exhibit C:
    He is a Biology major and NRA member.

Example: While I sat before class reading my Sarah Vowell book he came over to ask, "What class is that for?"

Me: "Oh--this isn't for a class, I'm just reading it for fun."

Him: (gales of laugher) "For fun?? Who reads for fun?! Man, I hate to read. I don't even read the assigned stuff for class!"

I love them all. I really do. Those three givers of knowledge. But they scare the crapolies out of me, and I don't even have children. It is at this point in my career that I realize perhaps we do need content testing for teachers.

Wish me luck on my Praxis II exams. And pray for us all.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

*sigh* Sometimes it really sucks to care, when you're surrounded by people who don't.

Best of luck with your remaining courses and exams. Are you working on your Bachelor's or Master's?

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Bachelors. Are you kidding? I'd never get hired with a Masters!

I know, backward thinking. They want the most qualified person, but they want someone they can pay the least amount of money to.

After I get hired, I will continue schooling, it's part of the deal, and eventually get a masters. I am not sure if I want to go beyond that tho.

• Badger
    Badger

Jo:

Depending on the state you're in, the standards change. In Oklahoma (Where I graduated) You basically have double major -- for me, I took about 7 ed classes (including interning) and over a dozen history. You take a basic knowledge (overall subjects) professional development (pedagogy) test and a subject area test, too. Or three or four, for us Soc. Studies types.

Texas (where I moved to) did the same thing, but since Okla. has such tough standards, they took my test scores straight across.

They could probably afford higher standards if teachers were paid more, so as to have a pick from more people wanting the job.

You seem to care. An administrator will see that in an interview, and you'll stand out.

I'm sure in you Ed classes they tell you ad nauseam to "Make it fun for the kids." Screw that...make it fun for YOU, and the kids will follow.

Texas is hiring! I'd...er...we'd love you to come down here.

• La Capra
    La Capra

Joanna-I used to score the PRAXIS II, years ago, but in math, not English. DON'T leave anything blank, and get into the topic and you'll at least get "2" for the question. Also, if you haven't yet, and there is time, use the preparations recommended that PRAXIS publishes. Going in knowing what to expect is more than half the battle. Remember, once you pass, they don't care how well you passed. Don't shoot your wad on things you know really well, only to run out of time on things you don't know so well (particularly pedagogy). You only need ot average 3's to pass. One or two good 4's (fives are nigh impossible) only to get 1's on a few others because you didn't get into topic and only had time for a sentence or two before time ran out doesn't make sense. You can't imagine the number of times we graders could be heard muttering "This person shouldn't be teaching math." I imagine the graders in the English room were doing the same thing. You'll do fine, though. And if not, you can take it again, knowing all the better what to expect. Good Luck. Shoshana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit