Reasons for Intense Feelings?

by robhic 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• robhic
    robhic

I read the thread that Beryblue started above and some of the responses made me wonder. Most people responded regarding loving jehovah out of fear. I am not now nor ever was a JW but these responses were similar to something a friend said the other day (and other times, too).

She is a JW since 2000 and is 42 years old with a disease that keeps her homebound and quite frequently bed-bound. She was my girlfriend off-and-on until recently (although this has gone on since 2000...) and made a comment about how she loves jehovah more than anybody including her own kids and family. I found this not only insulting and selfish but demeaning to her family.

Her mother and sister have done a tireless (and often thankless -- she can be a bitch) job of caring for her since she started having the problems which I mention above in November of last year. They have cleaned her, bathed her, wiped her ass, put on diapers, cleaned her house, fed and done almost everything needed for their daughter/sister. They drive her where needed and do most everything she needs to get to doctors' appointments and the like. In all fairness a couple of the female JWs from her congregation (the exceptions from what I have read of others' experiences with JWs) have done some to help her, mostly housecleaning, cooking, etc. but a little personal stuff and a few rides.

Then she has the audacity to make the comment (at least to me, I don't know if she's got the gall to say it to her mom and sis) about loving jehovah more than anyone else! How can someone way this and mean it?

I guess my question is this: what motivated people here to feel like this when they were "in"? Was it fear of jehovah? Real affection? Did you feel like this? I find it impossible to understand. I really wish I had thought about it at the time but I should have asked her, simply, "Why?" I imagine her answer would not only have been interesting to me but quite possibly an eye-opener for her, also, had she actually had to think of her reasons for that statement.

I do plan to ask it next time we speak if she says that. I really find it annoying and just wish she'd make the comment to either mom or sis. I'd like to see them tell her to let the j-man take up some of the slack and see just how long it took her to fully appreciate what her "2nd class" family (they aren't JWs) does for her. Does jehovah do sponge baths? Write checks? Loan money? Hmmm.....

Robert

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Well Robert if I’ve understood

1) She’s sick (scared)
    2) She’s scared of everything who’s not JWs
    3) She’s brainwashed the solution for everything is the WTBS (eventually JAH / they don’t make the difference in the Borg)

And maybe also and this could be the worse one

4) She's a bit egocentric
    SO she just act and love for her own salvation which is not what GOD asked her !!! Do be and to do …
    AND so her attitude is not coherent – and she do not deserve any salvation or love !!!
    She have to understand that !!! before she become totally insensitive even about what the bible says about love ... !!!
    And yes NEXT TIME AS YOU SAID, ASK HER WHY ? Best wishes ...

• rocketman
    rocketman

Not surprising - most jws would say the same thing, even if their family was helping them like that. They'd claim that He was motivating them and give him all the credit.

• robhic
    robhic

Frenchbabyface wrote:

1) She’s sick (scared)
    2) She’s scared of everything who’s not JWs
    3) She’s brainwashed the solution for everything is the WTBS (eventually JAH / they don’t make the difference in the Borg)

And maybe also and this could be the worse one

4) She's a bit egocentric

Very true. She's been sick for about 7 years so this isn't entirely new. She just got worse so you make a good point. She isn't too scared of everything non-JW because she's dated (in a manner of speaking) me off and on for the 3 years after her baptism and she has a lot of non-JW friends (plus her whole family) that she is close to.

As far as jehovah being the ultimate answer you are correct. She told me she has accepted the new level of her disability (not entirely a bad thing) but, in my opinion, somewhat fatalistic. She's just "waiting on jehovah" to end things and fix her. And "egocentric" doesn't begin to describe her. Her usual statement about not being able to be involved with me is because "her eternal life is at stake!" Nevermind everybody else, as long as her eternal life isn't compromised. Yeah, I think egocentric covers it.

She is brainwashed and buys into every single syllable uttered by anything JW. I just don't follow this blind, unwavering allegiance without giving some credit where it is due.

Rocketman: Yes, maybe she'd think that her family is motivated by jehovah (although her mother is quite vocal about being a non-JW and proud of it) but seems to me this loving of jehovah and only jehovah is weird.

Thanks for the responses, it gives me a little more to think about and may add to my understanding.

Robert

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Good luck Robert ...
    (any - way / you seems to realy love her to still take care, it's very nice ... But think also a bit about you ... she have to understand or ...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit