Need help...I am so confused....(this will probably be rambling)

by stephaniesays 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stephaniesays
    stephaniesays

I started going to church. I am going to a Baptist church just because they have a great youth program at this one, and my daughter (12) has really gotten into it, which I think is a positive thing. I have never really taught her anything about religion because I never knew what I believed, and I am having to confront now, what exactly it is that I DO believe. I really like the church pastor-very down to earth, open to answer any questions, etc..., but I don't want to bog him down with all the questions I have, because I need to start at the very beginning, if you know what I mean. I have always been taught that people who are dead are just dead, and everyone else belives they will go to heaven, so I am trying to research where those beliefs come from, but it's so overwhelming. I don't understand the trinity, I don't understand if you are allowed to be a religion and not agree with some aspects of it (then why would you be that religion?), I don't understand if you have to be a religion at all...I am just so completely confused. I don't even know if I believe in the bible, but I am trying....Does anyone understand what I am going through here?

Also, now that I am spending time at church, my son will eventually let it slip that he goes to Sunday school to my mom. Should I tell her first, and would that make me an official apostate in her eyes? I don't want to lose my family, but I am so sick of having to pretend that I believe it's the truth and just don't act on it!

Help....

• kls
    kls

My belief is that you believe what you want ,not what others tell you .If you like the Bapist Church go.If you are not ready for a religion (it sounds like you are not) wait .You are what what you feel inside ,believe inside.The part of being a religion( not a cult) is you can take what they tell you and accept what you want, and ignore what you do not believe.It is your choice.As for your family finding out and being called an apostate ,either way it is better then being a lier to yourself.If you are not a jw and they will find out, you are already dead to them.You have a mind of your own ,that is something a jw does not. KLS

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Hi there.

We are all confused, except the atheists. They don't believe in any God, and their perception is pretty cut and dried. You will find if you believe in God, that it's confusing what to believe. The one constant thing that christians can present is that once they confess that they believe in Christ as the Savior, then that is all it takes. And nothing can upset that belief once you confess and believe it in your heart. Like we all have heard a million times "god knows your heart." There is NO religion or belief that has everything right, but if you love Christ and want to follow him, everything will proceed just fine.

CG

• NoMoreMeetings
    NoMoreMeetings

Hi

I have been through the same thing this past year. I left the WTS after decades and started from scratch. I bought a Nelson study bible which has just about everything you will need as far as research goes. (I don't agree with everything they say, which is O.K. with most pastors) It took about a year to be comfortable with the Trinity as I understand it. Accepting the Diety of Christ is the main point. It can take a while to un-learn Watchtower teachings. I have found that the best way to study the Bible is to pick a book and read it through several times, noting points of doctrine that you are looking to clarify. I started with 1 John, then John and then Romans. Basic Christian doctrine and hope is there.

You will find that true Christianity is very simple. Accept Christ as savior and love your brother. Truly accepting Christ will bring a natural change toward good works toward others and will bring a deep seated peace from God.

A true relationship with God can only come by a process of doubting and questioning everything.

I wish you well on your journey.

NMM

• berylblue
    berylblue

Welcome, No More Meetings.

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

Stephanie,

I also go to a Baptist church, although I don't really know what you are going through because I have not experienced it. If you have any questions on Baptist doctrines, you can ask alleymom here in the forum, or me. I do not know much but I'll do my best to answer any question you might have. In my opinion, I don't think your pastor will feel annoyed by all your questions, he will most likely be happy to help you answer all of them. Just focus on one subject and ask as many questions as you have on it so there will be no doubt left in you, and so your faith will not be based on something you are 'supposed' to believe just because you are part of that religion. We do not believe that you have to be in our religion to go to heaven. All Christian denominations agree that it is not the religion, but Christ that saves us. If you cannot accept some of the doctrines taught and it seems like they are fake and not biblically based, just reject them. I'm pretty sure the pastor won't mind, although he will try to convince you. It is not like in the Watchtower, where if you reject a certain doctrine you are out. I've seen some people who do this around in the forum, like LittleToe. He attends a Presbyterian church, but considers himself an Unorthdox Christian because he accepts only doctrines he holds to be true. Don't get confused though, just because you don't like a doctrine may you reject it. Lol. About heaven, this belief is based in several passages and a lot in Revelations. One of the verses is Luke 23:43, "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. The Watchtower has it: " And he said to him: 'Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise.'" They insert that comma after today, even though in the Greek scriptures there are no commas. From what i know, in every other part of the bible there is a comma after "thee" in the phrase, "Verily I say unto thee". I have a Bible in Spanish which reads it without comma, "Verily I say unto thee that today shalt thou be with me in paradise". Well, I hope this information is of some help. Keep in touch. - CA

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    I don't want to bog him down with all the questions I have, because I need to start at the very beginning, if you know what I mean.

You know the man's trustworthy - ask him to recommend a list of BASIC books.

I don't understand if you are allowed to be a religion and not agree with some aspects of it

This varies from church to church. Most are less restrictive about disagreement than the jaydubs.

(then why would you be that religion?),

A church, at its best, is a family you choose. Nobody expects you to agree with everything your relatives do :) so why should they expect it of your religion?

I don't understand if you have to be a religion at all...I am just so completely confused. I don't even know if I believe in the bible, but I am trying....Does anyone understand what I am going through here?

YES! It's very common, and HEALTHY, for people who've been lied to to question EVERYTHING they believe. You are only doing what you MUST do - starting from scratch.

Is there a Unitarian Universalist church near you? They're also famous for their youth programs, but the curriculum is more about COMPARATIVE religions, because UU's believe there is good/truth in all religions - and in atheism. www.uua.org

They also have a course for adults called Building Your Own Theology. A UU pastor can recommend a wide variety of good books about any religious question you wish to explore.

If there isn't a UU church near you, they have a "mail-order church" called The Church of the Larger Fellowship, which will provide food for thought, an email address & phone number to contact - and you can still go to the Baptist church if you like, they won't freak out. There are even non-UU clergy who belong to the Church of the Larger Fellowship.

gently feral

• Phil
    Phil

Gentlyferal has it as good as it gets.

Keep in mind that religions are "Belief Systems" not a theory nor a rocket science. As you probably know Belief is "Probable Knowledge" or "Mental Conviction". Armed with this definition fed to your child you must let him or her decide for his or herself.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Religion is the way some people utilise rituality to express an appreciation of life (among other things - eg. Jwism). Other people choose other ritual - some through surfing, and the ocean is their church - a quiet place nearer to God. Others may simply love to help people, long held as an angelic way, and one that James noted.

As Christ taught - make up your own mind and be peaceful with that - "let your yes be yes and your no be no" - so what is good for the care of your soul, your children's soul.

What do you consider sacred?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit