Shocking or funny experiences at the memorial

by Dimples 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dimples
    Dimples

I remember at one memorial one of the sisters invited someone other than a bible study. Imagine as they passed the wine and the kingdom hall (you know at this time the place is always silent) to have this person stand up, hold her glass of wine up in the air and at the top of her lungs yell out... I drink this wine for Jesus Christ who died for me!!! I thought the elders were going to pass out. At this point all you could hear were whispers asking, who did this lady come with? Then of course the judging started, she should have explained to her what the memorial is all about. I know that poor sister was so embarrassed. I bet she got a serious counseling session after that. Oh by the way do you think the elders counted her as one of the anointed? LOL!!!

Another time with the passing of the bread, I had the aisle seat and handed the brother the plate so he could start another row. He grabbed the plate in such a way that all of the bread slid off the plate onto the floor. He knew he couldn't put it back in the plate and pass it around because there was one sister at the hall of the anointed class and she may have eaten it. He scooped up the bread and put it in the inside his suit jacket and quickly exited to the back of the hall. I felt bad for him but it was sooooooo Funny!!!

Dimples

• berylblue
    berylblue

One study wore these terrible white cotton pants (through which you could see his boxers), a bright green shirt and a navy blue jacket with no tie. He spilled the wine all over his pants. That's what he gets for wearing white before Memorial Day....

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

I'll never forget this one;

This real geeky dude given the Memorial talk. we always sat close to the front, I musta been around 11 or 12yo. As the talk went on I was noticing he strated to sway back and forth and obivious sweating. The place was packed (for the same ole rehash) About half way through, as his swaying really got bad,, he turned to the side, and face first kissed the platform. After the oos and ahs they took him out on a stretcher. The worst was they continued the talk.

• mizpah
    mizpah

In the congregations I attended, the Memorial was always an occasion for the "sisters" in the congregation to get all "gussied up" in their finery. It was like Easter Sunday at the churches. The conversation afterwards would be..."did you notice "sister so&so" and her new dress?"...."wasn't "sister whatshername"rather overdressed for the occasion?...etc. No matter how hard the sisters tried to be different from their counterparts in "the world" they always failed miserably on the Memorial night...haha

• barry
    barry

Before I knew much at all about the JW religion I was asked to the memorial by a JW who was a bricklayer who did a lot of work for my dad. I told him I would go to the memorial and also I asked my minister to come too. The bloke that invited me wasnt very impressed with me for asking the minister to come . Ive wrote about it before on here Barry

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Shortly after we were married, Big Tex and I went to my parents' Memorial, which entailed a ride from Arlington to DeSoto (about 15 miles, I think), straight across the south part of the Dallas area. I was wearing a lovely aqua suit and had made a strawberry pie because my parents had an old family friend visiting and we were going to eat dinner before going to Memorial. On the way we got a flat tire. BT went out to change it and found that there was a strong south wind blowing from a place rather aptly named Cedar Hill. (NOTE: Big Tex is violently allergic to cedar trees. This part is important to the story.) He changed the tire, which ran us late, and we hurried to my parents' house. When I got out I found out that the pie had leaked and my aqua skirt was aqua no longer. Fortunately Mom had something I could wear and we proceeded to eat hurriedly and go to the Kingdom Hall. Dad, of course, had gone ahead so he could pace for an hour, as was his custom before giving the Memorial talk (Jackson inherited the pacing part but not the early part, alas). He kindly saved seats for us in the second row of the middle section. The talk started. Big Tex's eyes started watering and he started sneezing. He sneezed through the entire talk, politely but earnestly. He felt fairly trapped and didn't feel he could get up and leave, so he muffled his sneezes with as much dignity as possible, but by the end of the meeting everyone was feeling REALLY sorry for him, including my dad!

That didn't teach Dad a lesson about seating us in front -- it took Jennie to do that. After her first Memorial, he prudently saved seats WAAAAAYYYY in the back. Thank God.

Nina

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Oh, yeah, and then there was the Memorial when we had an elderly couple visiting us from England and we took them to hear Dad give the Memorial talk. As we seated them (this was before Jennie so we were still down front), the elderly sister said loudly, "My, you do have a lot of colored people around here!" In England that's okay, obviously, but South Dallas is quite another matter.

Nina

• startingover
    startingover

When I was a young kid I sat next to a man that would later DA himself. When the bread was passed he leaned over to me and asked me if I had any butter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit