Would a JW vote if...

by jws 7 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

I know that technically speaking, the WTBS has left voting as a "matter of conscience" in certain articles, but growing up JW, in practice, voting was always strictly forbidden.

With our referendum elections going on in Texas, I got to wondering whether they just avoided political elections? Or are all sorts of political voting forbidden, such as on propositions? For instance, should certain types of taxes be allowed to increase for disabled people? Should the government limit medical damage awards or let a jury decide? ... those sorts of things.

Suppose there were a referendum on ballot that would somehow hurt the JWs? Let's say they were going to be taxed on their Kingdom Halls, or not allowed to go door-to-door without an expensive permit. I know they've spent time and effort to fight such laws in court. Would they send their followers to the polls to vote against such laws if the situation arose? If they could strike down such a proposal through voting, they could save a lot of money on court battles fighting it or in costs if the law stays in effect.

If it's still an issue of staying neutral and not going to the polls, then why not stay neutral? Why fight these things in legal battles later? Why not pay Ceasars things to Ceasar?

• minimus
    minimus

They would show the WT. article that says a person could vote and say that in this case, voting would be beneficial as well as registering.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I often wondered the same thing

Devon

• gumby
    gumby
    Or are all sorts of political voting forbidden, such as on propositions? For instance, should certain types of taxes be allowed to increase for disabled people? Should the government limit medical damage awards or let a jury decide? ... those sorts of things.

First of all the November Watchtower dealing with voting being a conscience matter was an outright, boldface lie, to appease the government and was theocratic war stradegy.

As for what you have stated above.......these things are conscience matters. I don't remember the article, but getting involved in community betterment that will aid others as far a voting, ..... is not a no no but to hold an office position of a political nature IS a no no. You can join in with the harlot to this degree.....you just can't vote for a president.......they have their limits ya know

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

When I was at Bethel, the JWs were trying to get approval from the NYC to build a huge bldg. They got JWs from all over the city to picket outside of the meeting where the decision to give the approval was being made. They JWs had signs and everything and they got their pictures in the paper.

Also, I remember a story that Victor Blackwell told me one time. Victor Blackwell was a lawyer for the Society and one of the first Gilead School instructors. Anyway, he told me that one time during a district convention the mayor of the city asked if he could welcome the delegates to the city. The convention must have allowed him to say something from the platform. After his welcoming, the chairman of the convention made sure to point out to the mayor that JWs do not vote and that his welcoming was NOT going to get him any votes in the upcoming mayoral election.

Also, the JWs send people to testify before congress all of the time when it comes to freedom of religion issues. In fact, the JWs often team up with other cults like the Scientologists, Mormons, Hare Krishnas etc. particularly in third world countries to influence the gov'ts there. Also,It has been reported that the JWs have done this in Russia to try to influence political decisions there.

Jeff S.

• jws
    jws
    Also, the JWs send people to testify before congress all of the time when it comes to freedom of religion issues. In fact, the JWs often team up with other cults like the Scientologists, Mormons, Hare Krishnas etc. particularly in third world countries to influence the gov'ts there. Also,It has been reported that the JWs have done this in Russia to try to influence political decisions there.

I realized these sorts of things were going on. I just wondered whether it would go as far as them actually telling people to go to their polls.

It seems like one of those things that gets blurred so often by the JWs. And if not by the WTBTS, at least by the JW-culture. One thing may be spoken out against, so they shy away from anything in that whole area. Since voting for candidates is bad, all voting must somehow be bad. And nobody ever stands up and clarifies the issue as to what is frowned upon and what is OK. They just let it slide and it becomes part of the culture. Nobody votes on anything. I'd venture to say that only the rebellious or half-hearted ones are even registered to vote. And if it were known you were registered to vote, you might be counseled for it, or at least looked at as suspicious by others.

I would think that if somebody from their podiums actually suggested they go register to vote and then vote, it might cause a lot of confusion. Perhaps even some stumbling.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

It has been reported that JWs in many European countries actually do go to the polls. If I am not mistaken the French JWs are encouraged to do this because of the bad press the JWs have gotten in that country lately.

Jeff S.

• jws
    jws
    It has been reported that JWs in many European countries actually do go to the polls. If I am not mistaken the French JWs are encouraged to do this because of the bad press the JWs have gotten in that country lately.

Wow! It's always interesting to see how a religion that prides itself on its unity behaves differently from one end of the globe to the other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit