Is it ethical to pay a ransom?

by hippikon 7 Replies latest jw friends

• hippikon
    hippikon

In recent times Tourist’s, Foreign Consultants, etc have been kidnapped for ransom by rebels and self interest groups. Some areas the major income is from kidnapping for ransom. Some militant groups fund their militia by kidnapping.
    My question is: Is it ethical to pay the ransom considering a) It is funding an illegal activity b) If the kidnappers are successful they will be encouraged to do it again

Next thought: Would the Watchtower Society pay a ransom if one of their missionaries or representatives were kidnapped?

Next thought: Jesus was a ransom for our sins right.

So whom was the ransom paid to? My understanding was that it was to satisfy Jehovah’s own sense of justice ie Eye for Eye etc so was Jesus tortured to death to satisfy God.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hippikon,

Difficult questions to answer! Unfortunately as you indicate, violent crime is a fact of life, more so in certain areas of the world.

These criminals are determined not to earn an honest living. So another way to look at the question is, is it humane to NOT eventually pay a ransom once it is determined there is no way out of the situation, and that a loved one's life is at risk?

Perhaps at some later time, they'll trip up and be caught. You may only have one chance to get a loved one back.

As to the WTS, I suppose some criminal would be shrewd enough to recognize that the Society may be able to afford to pay a ransom. I suppose they might pay. I think the Society tries to steer its missionaries and MTS graduates away from violent trouble spots.

The ransom of Jesus, much like the blood on the ancient Israelite altar of worship, was offered to God in heaven, according to the scriptures that say he offered the value of his sacrifice to God after returning to heaven.

I don't know if that implies that until the ransom was paid, that God was holding mankind hostage (??)

Gopher

• LDH
    LDH

Forgive me, but are you actually asking if those tight-asses would pay good money for a free resource?!?!?

Hmmm let me think about it....

Theoretic WT reasoning:

1. This is Jah's organization.
    2. All people within the organization are property of JAH.
    3. If one of our missionaries were kidnapped, what would we do?
    a. If we pay the money, we will be extorted to no end, it will be open season on JW missionaries/bank accounts.
    b. We could get some really good press coverage on CNN and the
    major networks if one of our people were kidnapped!
    4. Therefore, the missionary probably has to sign a statement before they leave for assignment stating that they are aware there there are inherent risks to this type of activity and they hold harmless the WTBS for any untoward results resulting from preaching the 'good news of the Kingdom.'
    5. The missionary is sacrificed for TV ratings, and because there are no shortage of jackasses willing to go work for the WT for free.
    6. What better reward for faithfulness than to die in service to the Almighty God WBTS? (you thought I was going to say Jehovah, didn't you?

I hope I have answered your questions.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Hippikon: I responded to your email this morning. I look forward to your reply. - Amazing

• Scarlet Pimpernel
    Scarlet Pimpernel

Ironic isn’t it. They depend on the ransom benefits of the Christ but wouldn’t give 2 cents to save there own.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I don't know - do you want to ever see those CDs I've been keeping safe for you? <maniacal laughter>

• heathen
    heathen

I would have to say no . It would not be ethical to deal with terroists by giving into their demands.No I don't think the wt would fork over any dough to get one of their own .I think it is illegal to fund terrorism . Yes that is the way the wt views the ransom saccrifice of jesus .

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

And let us not forget.........they are to wait "on god". That would resolve them of having to pay any ransom.

If god doesn't do anything, then it's "gods will". If they are freed, than "bless god and the org" because god freed them. They've got it covered both ways.

Sentinel/Karen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit