How does the "slave" turn 11 into 500?

by The Fall Guy 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

At Matthew 28:16, the alleged "faithful slave" changes the number of people whom Jesus invites, from 11 to over 500 - in order to "prove" that men, women, and children were commanded to preach.*

w63 3/1 p. 141 par. 17 - “Some call attention to the fact that when Jesus, for instance, gave the famous missionary commission, as recorded in Matthew 28:19, only the eleven apostles were present, and they therefore contend it was given to the apostles alone. But it is also understood that “upward of five hundred brothers” were there also.” (“understood” by whom - the WTBTS?)

w67 11/15 p. 692 par. 2 - Likely there were many more in the mountain than just the eleven faithful apostles. This may be the occasion to which the later apostle Paul refers, (or may not!)

w80 8/15 p. 26 par. 20 - the resurrected Jesus appeared to about 500 of his disciples in a mountain in “Galilee of the nations. ”

w91 5/1 p. 8 - AT SOME point Jesus makes arrangements for all 11 of his apostles to meet him at a mountain in Galilee. Other disciples are apparently told about the meeting, and a total of more than 500 people assemble.

w95 10/1 p. 14 par. 4 - “Jesus “appeared to upward of five hundred brothers at one time” ….Apparently this occurred at a mountain in Galilee where his 11 apostles were also gathered.”

w98 7/1 p. 15 par. 9 - Christ also appeared to a larger group, “upward of five hundred brothers......this may have been on the occasion described at Matt. 28:16-20, when Jesus gave the command to make disciples. (or may not!)

w01 7/15 p. 10 par. 3 - “Jesus’ 11 faithful apostles...went to a mountain in Galilee to meet the resurrected Christ!....“Upward of five hundred brothers” may have been present on that occasion.” (or may not!)

w15 11/15 p. 26 par. 2 - “Perhaps it was on that occasion that he gave the command to take the Kingdom message to “people of all the nations.””

jy chap. 137 p. 310 par. 1 - After Jesus’ resurrection, he arranges for his 11 apostles to meet him at a mountain in Galilee. Other disciples are there too, about 500 of them,

cf chap. 9 p. 94 - …..it may have been on the occasion described at Matthew 28:16-20 that the resurrected Jesus appeared to “upward of five hundred.”So hundreds may have been present when Jesus gave the commission to make disciples. (or may not!)

(Acts 1:4,5,8,9,12,13) "While he was meeting with them, he ordered them: (the 500?) “Do not leave Jerusalem, but keep waiting for what the Father has promised, about which you heard from me;

5......you will be baptized with holy spirit not many days after this.” (the 500?)

8 But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, (the 500?) and you will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Ju·deʹa and Sa·marʹi·a, and to the most distant part of the earth.” (the 500?)

9 After he had said these things, while they were looking on, (the 500?) he was lifted up and a cloud caught him up from their sight.

12 Then they returned to Jerusalem (the 500?) from a mountain called the Mount of Olives, which is near Jerusalem, only a sabbath day’s journey away.

13 When they arrived, they went up into the upper room where they were staying. (the 500?)

* Was Jesus saying all of these things to hundreds of uninvited men, women, and children?

The Bible's detail on the subject once again disproves another of the org's asserted dogmas.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I invoke the ancient Roman rite of Taurus Feces. In Watchtower speak, "it is understood" means "it's our unsubstantiated opinion".

• sir82
    sir82

If the WTS stopped using the words "evidently", "likely", "apparently", and similar, they could cut the magazines from 16 pages down to 4.

• waton
    waton

When you picture the man (or already incarnate spirit) giving the command, it would be not be a yelling, but earnest insisting speech, only the closest would hear it, not 500 if they were present. It is said he appeared to 500 brothers, not that he had a "service meeting" Christian living portion with families gathering.

While we are in wt fantasy land: May be the 500 were the fellow revived ones that had come out of the graves and entered Jerusalem, now eager to learn what caused their unexpected new, temporary lease on life?

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Didn't Jesus send out once 70 disciples ? Wasn't this the start of preaching? They were called apostles in the tradition. A list of the names is on wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventy_disciples

Note also the original gospel: "Woe .to the unrepentant cities" sounds like judgment.

Luke Outline

• Jesus sends out the 70 (1-12)

• Woe to unrepentant cities (13-16)

• The 70 return (17-20)

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Luke 10:1 - .....the Lord designated 70 others and sent them out by twos ahead of him into every city and place where he himself was to go. (preparing people to hear what Jesus himself would say - not their preaching)

Luke 10:9 - Heal the sick, and tell them, ‘The Kingdom of God is near you now.’ (NLT)

Not many JW's carrying out this command.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

My eyesight is getting bad, I thought it read; "Woe .to the "underpant" cities". Gotta put on my glasses.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Wow just when I thought I knew it all , it appears the 500 were a made up number! I assumed it said so somewhere in the scriptures

• bennyk
    bennyk

"... and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. After that he appeared to upward of five hundred brothers at one time..." (1 Cor.15,5.6)

That's where they find the reference to "500"; but as waton stated, there is no indication that they had a "service meeting".

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Oh ok see what happens when you don't do your daily bible reading! But it's still a stretch he said those words to over 500 people

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit