Basic Principles for Forum Moderation

by Simon 26 Replies latest forum announcements

• Landy
    Landy
    All things in moderation, including moderation. :)
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    You're doing a great job IMO. This forum is so much more than just a place for ex-Dubs. The subject matter is incredibly diverse and always has topics of interest for me and I have certainly learned a lot here and am very grateful. Thank you and the mods for their selfless commitment to keeping this forum as enjoyable and informative as it is.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SIMON:

I am very grateful for the forum and your moderating it.

Several years back the forum was turning into a cesspool with gross topics of every sort. Thankfully, you stepped in and stopped the trend in its tracks. I'm glad you did because I would not come here and I'm sure many others would not either.

I do not understand WHY people saw the need to do this and ruin a decent discussion forum!

Sometimes ex-Witnesses feel the need to prove how "over" the religion they are...Let them prove it somewhere else!!..Bye bye!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I agree with the first sentence in LHG's post above.

Simon:

You and the moderators have quite a difficult and in a way thankless job - there are diverse people here with diverse viewpoints.

It must be nearly impossible to keep everyone happy all the time - I'm not sure if I could be a good moderator. Nevertheless, I believe that you and your moderator-elves consistently do a very good job. People get several warnings before any action is taken, and I've yet to see you treat a poster unfairly.

• steve2
    steve2

I would like this forum to be more JW-tolerant - or even friendly, if that's the right word.

In general the forum is. For example when obviously doubting JWs post, they get a welcoming response. But, hey, if anyone dares "defend" the organization over anything, or - God forbid - dare to question ex-JWs motives or methods, boom: They're shot down big time.

Perhaps more restraint and understanding on our part would help? I don't know.

All I know is surely we can extend some empathy to those who feel the need to defend the organization. Weren't we there once, in one form or another? If this forum had been around in the late 1980s - early 1990s, and I was brave enough to access it, I would have been one of those people weighing in with a defense of the organization. I'd like to think that posters would appeal to my better nature with considerate words. Sure, speak your truth - but do so with some thought for how it is coming across.

Enough said on my part because I myself have sometimes said some blunt and unkind things to JW defenders. So I apply my wish also to myself. Yes, I too can read back over some of the things I have posted and wince.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Simon - "I'm often surprised at just how much of the shit I said the day before is actually stupid."

It's not so bad once you get used to it.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Simon

With all the time and effort you put into this site, that you so much.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit