Certain lies are acceptable per Watchtower. Where can I find that?

by FatFreek 2005 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Watchtower has defined certain circumstances where it's permissible to withhold certain facts, even telling an untruth. Like some outsider, or enemy, may not be deserving to know certain factual answers.

Where can I find such quotations?

Len

• talesin
    talesin

From this older thread, the OP has some good quotes:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/69113/what-theocratic-warfare

• zeb
    zeb
    Jacksons comments at the Australian Royal Commission.
  • talesin
    talesin

"The faithful witness does not commit perjury when testifying. His testimony is not tainted with lies. However, this does not mean that he is under obligation to give full information to those who may want to bring harm to Jehovah's people in some way. The patriarchs Abraham and Isaac withheld facts from some who did not worship Jehovah. (Genesis 12:10-19; 20:1-18; 26:1-10) Rahab of Jericho misdirected the king's men. (Joshua 2:1-7) Jesus Christ himself refrained from divulging total information when doing so would have caused needless harm. (John 7:1-10) He said: "Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine." Why not? So that "they may never . . . turn around and rip you open."—Matthew 7:6." Watchtower 2004 Nov 15 p.28

I can't copy and paste, but this blog references June 15, 2009 Watchtower, 'Speak Truth with your Neighbor', para. 6. http://thejehovahswitnesses.org/theocratic-warfare-quotes.php

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005
    Thanks, Talesin, for what appear to be substantive sources.
  • OneEyedJoe
  • I am a Bible Student
    I am a Bible Student

See the new definition of lying on page 5 of the 2016 WT no 1:

"Saying something false to someone who is entitled to know the truth."

So the converse is also true. It is not a lie if you say something false to someone who is not entitled to know the truth.

• sir82
    sir82

First 2 sentences under the definition of "Lie" from the Insight Book (published 1988):

The opposite of truth. Lying generally involves saying something false to a person who is entitled to know the truth and doing so with the intent to deceive or to injure him or another person.

And then later on:

While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit