What is having the biggest impact on the watchtower Bible and tract society?

by UnshackleTheChains 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS recently has evolved itself into state of sustainability, the aggressive money cultivation, the cut back on many of its long standing pieces of literature, the sell off of many of its branches are all tell tale actions toward long term sustainability.

...........but shush don't tell anybody.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Thanks to the www, the WTBTS is hemorrhaging, and so they should. Bunch of unapologetic charlatans!!! 🤥

DY

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I haven't been part of a congregation in a dozen years. How are Witnesses dealing with Armageddon being put off so long?

I'm not talking about the career-climber Witnesses who are caught up and distracted by chasing power and prestige within the organization. Those people are too focused on the social status benefits of being a Witness to care too much about actual doctrine. Life is pretty good for them.

I'm talking about the rank and file Witnesses living day to day and dealing with the burdens of being a JW. Something's gotta give.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

pale.emperor 9 hours ago

I know for me, and it may have been the same for you, being a witness was such a chore. I mean, i used to genuinely believe it but i hated the door to door ministry and i could tell people just pretended they had joy in it

neverendingjourney

I'm talking about the rank and file Witnesses living day to day and dealing with the burdens of being a JW. Something's gotta give.

There is so much talk among JW's about "sighing and crying" and the need for "endurance" and they blame the pressures from the wicked system of things for this. Most of what JW's endure are the self inflicted burdens that the organization puts upon them to perform and the mental drain of always living in expectation for a someday that never comes. Living this way in an age where information to the contrary is readily available or where there is a forum for individuals to discuss their similar experiences, has and will continue to loosen the stronghold the Organization once had on unaware individuals.

• jws
    jws

Which issue, IDK. And to tell you the truth, JWs are becoming so far in my rearview mirror, I don't really think of them much. I mostly come here to listen to good community topics and to listen anxiously for signs of their demise.

So while I can't pick out any one issue like shunning, child abuse, blood, etc. I feel it's different for everybody.

Like for me, not being abused, nor having anybody I know who was abused, it's not an issue I can directly connect to personally. I think it's horrible. Whereas for other people, that is exactly the thing for them. Their hot topic.

The internet is the common thread. When I left, I had to order a book through the mail to hear the other side. Now with the internet, it's like you have multiple sets of encyclopedias that refute the JWs right in your home. If I'm a householder, I can find out all about them minutes after they left.

They've also got a waking-up to deal with. Where people are abandoning their beliefs in mystical powers and taking a rational approach. Where we're no longer having the debate about which religion to believe in, but whether to believe in religion at all.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The fact that they seem to be in decline. Totally demoralising for a religion predicated on growth and endtime prophecies.

• baker
    baker

Jehovah not answering any of their prayers to speed up the Big A. Praying is just like a Rocking Chair, both take a lot of your time, and you don't get anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-YpUqQhops

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Hi all. Really interesting view points.

Personally, I think the age of the internet is having the most impact. I recall back in 1995 (when having doubts...But couldn't put my finger on it) seeing an apostate book in a Christian book shop. I remember thinking will I buy it, but then feeling incredibly guilty for even thinking of buying it and walked straight out of the shop.

Got my first PC in 2000 and it was only when my marriage was hitting the rocks, along with my spirituality in 2002 that I slowly began looking at website forums such as this one. It felt great knowing I wasn't the only one with niggling doubts. I recall seeing on one forum a title called the watchtower society's most burned book. It was the book ' crisis of conscience' which I managed to read twice within a week.

The internet opened up a Pandora's box. Information at your fingertips. I have no doubt most JWs read or view things about the society given the huge amount of information available.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

The overlapping generations teaching has taken away any sense of urgency from the preaching work. The ARC, congregation mergers, and poor response in the field ministry make it hard to see the work speeding up. JWs are going through the motions (even the ones that believe) just waiting for world events to change. That's why they are so into the Trump presidency, they need something big to happen to confirm their worldview.

• cha ching
    cha ching

I think I agree that the internet, the ability to 'check things out' so quickly has awoken & will help awaken many people.

So many people have phones that have internet now, and Facebook is so popular that people are bound to come across something that tweaks their interest into finding out what is really going on.

If the younger people, in their teens, 20's and 30's leave.... there goes the basis for WT's "next generation" of money, and no money means hasta la vista gold rings!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit