NOTE On American No Call List

by Francois 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

I noticed someone here the other day making a discouraging remark about the subject no call list to the effect that it was a waste of time because advertising calls were still coming through. I don't remember who was making these ill-informed remarks.

The American NO Call List does not go into effect until October 1, 2003. Best to be fully informed before blasting a good idea out of the saddle.

Frank

• Mulan
    Mulan

Right................thanks for the reminder. I can't wait for it to go into effect. They drive me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Scully
    Scully

Does this No Call List apply equally to door-to-door solicitation as it does to telemarketing??

Just imagine the possibilities!!

Love, Scully

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I'm looking forward to Oct 1.

• maxwell
    maxwell

The law only applies to telemarketers. People should also be aware of the exceptions, which include companies with whom you have a previous relationship or have done business with. Almost all the telemarketing calls I've ever picked up, were from my credit card company. They are not covered by this list since I have their credit card, but I signed up just as a precaution anyway.

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

I did hear on the radio that if a company happens to get hold of your WORK phone number, the NO CALL list would not apply. The list only applies to your home number. I have a feeling that receptionists around the country are going to be answering a lot more phone calls after 10/1!

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Glad you brought the subject up Franc. I'd like to add my own $.02.

First of all, we should not assume that this national do-not-call list will be respected by all telemarketing companies. They take care to make sure their number doesn't show up on your caller ID and in the event you or I are on the list it's going to be hard to get any kind of positive ID out of the telemarketer on the phone when they call. Therefore it will be difficult to report violators.

Next thing to consider is how they get your number in the first place. Are you listed in the phone book? Get an unlisted number if you are. Now that you have an unlisted number, can they still get it? Yes. How careful are you about giving out your phone number and address? Do you have discount cards at the stores you shop at, such as Kroger or CVS? When you signed up for that card, you gave them your phone number and address. I've had both stores tell me "oh don't worry, we don't give that information to anyone else", and I didn't believe them for one second. Why should I? Other stores immediately ask for your phone number any time you make a purchase. I drive Circuit City and Autozone crazy when I don't give it to them. Do they really need it? No. You don't have to give it to them for warranty purposes, that's what your receipt is for. If they aren't delivering the product to your home, or you're not signing up for their store credit, they don't need your phone number and address and can not require them.

Look through your wallet or purse right now. How many store discount cards do you have in there? Guess what? You can sign on the national dnc list all you want, but all you had to do in the first place is not give the number out in the first place. Unless of course, as I said before, you're signing up for credit or having your purchase delivered.

I get very little junk mail. When I had a land-line phone I got very few telemarketing calls. Why? Because I treated my phone number and address as private information. Sure I didn't get the little discounts at Kroger, but Kroger didn't get to sell my info to mass-mailers and telemarketers. Now that I've got a cell-phone I get zero telemarketing calls whatsoever.

Now here's a question that some of you may be able to answer for me. I've heard on the news that telemarketers are starting to call peoples' cell phones. I don't give that number out period except to my utility providers. I don't completely trust them to not sell that info to telemarketers. So can I expect to receive telemarketing calls on my cell phone now?

Mike.

p.s. Refusing to give out your phone number and address can get interesting sometimes. I once had a salesperson at Best Buy snidely remark "are you on the run?". A cashier at Circuit City asked for my phone number and I refused to give it, then when I went to pay by Visa she asked for my ID. I did let her see it but she actually grabbed it out of my hand and started to type my address in to the computer. I told her not to and ended up having to call a manager to prevent her from entering the info. I've had store employees get really pushy and even rude when I wouldn't give out my info. My response to all of them has been "I'm profit, you're overhead, I don't give out that information". Radio Shack absolutely HATED me!

• Scully
    Scully

Here's a question:

Do you think your average JW is going to be completely aware that the laws regarding the No Call List apply to telemarketing only??

Basically, the law is on your side if you have told them verbally not to call. The law is on your side if you write a letter to the congregation telling them not to call. The law is on your side if you write a letter to Brooklyn telling them not to call. There is a precedent in Pennsylvania where a JW had to pay damages to a householder who sued them after they ignored her repeated requests to stop visiting her. The householder also had numerous No Trespassing and No Soliciting signs posted on her property. The law upheld her right to refuse them access to her property, to protect the privacy and security of her home.

If you tell the JWs not to visit and they visit anyway, call the cops on them. Charge them with trespassing and harassment. If they will not respect your requests, make them pay. You just watch how fast the WTS's legal department will drop them like a hot potato!!

Love, Scully

• ESTEE
    ESTEE
    Does this No Call List apply equally to door-to-door solicitation as it does to telemarketing??

JW's might wanna apply a simple principle of Respect...and when someone asks them not to call any more, they would respectfully comply...? As it is, instead of complying, they start preaching about how they are not soliciting....

Yet, by definition....ummmm....

Main Entry: so·lic·it
    Pronunciation: s&-'li-s&t
    Function: verb
    a : to make petition to : ENTREAT b : to approach with a request or plea
    2 : to urge (as one's cause) strongly
    3 a : to entice or lure especially into evil b : to proposition (someone) especially as or in the character of a prostitute
    4 : to try to obtain by usually urgent requests or pleas

Sooo...I dunno....does it fit???

ESTEE

• wednesday
    wednesday

could possibly have been me. I did say that, but i think, added that i was looking forward to oct. 1 , so I could start taking names and numbers of the callers. I am still getting the calls, but they have slowed down. I get mostly the recorded ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit