The Star, God's Plan or Malicious Plot of Satan?

by ignorance is strength 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

I'm not talking about stars in general; such a subject about stars in general would be ridiculous. I'm specifically talking about the star that the three magi saw that led them to Jesus. The WT holds that this was a malicious plot of Satan's to bring Jesus to Herod. Was it? Was it not God's will that the three magi would come to Jesus and adore him as the shepherds did? Rather than focusing on the negative connotations with the magi, let's examine what good they caused. For one thing they adored Christ (good thing) and they also brought expensive gifts with them to celebrate Jesus' birth (and who said there was no good accounts of birthdays) which helped Jesus' family to make a living in Egypt (considering that a Jewish carpenter would have a hard time finding a job in Egypt). There is also the question: Does Satan really have the power to make such astronomical phenomena? A shining star that coinincides with the birth of Our Saviour sounds more like the work of God, a light display that went with the chorus of singing angels. What do you think?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Now come on -- you know as well as I do that everything in dubdom is the fault of Satan -- from the talking snake in the garden of Eden to that damn star -- by the way -- here is another JW Urban legend --- A sister who was pioneering and I think her husband was also -- got pregnant -- she then said to the circuit overseer -- look what satan has done to me (to stop her pioneering) and the CO said "That is not a nice way to talk about your husband -sister - is it?" The CO had to point out Satan is not responsible for everything even when it stops the person pioneering -- it actually was the result of her and her husband not being totally careful when having sex. It is a true story!

• JCanon
    JCanon

Interesting observation. I won't elaborate (believe it or not!!) but I think it was another miracle from God. But some background on this in the greater context is that these were Jews expecting the Messiah who were astronomers in Babylon. Remember that all the greatest "wise men" in Babylon were the Jews; the Jews have long been the intellectuals even in ancient times.

But I also think the account was recorded to help us to understand the placement of Jews in the astronomical setting in Babylon. It might not seem even remotely connected to you, but the double-dating in the VAT4956 and the SK400 is "Jewish" in style. That is, their style of writing and having double meanings for many things so that outsiders hear and understand one thing but they are conveying something specific and secretive to someone else (including Jesus). All that to say that at the time when the Persians were destroying all the astronomical records of Babylon and then creating new fake ones, it might have been thought that the original chronology was threatened and couldn't be recovered, so they hid the references in "pro-conspiracy" texts called "diaries" which included numerous references of the revised chronology which was just a front to hide a few secret references to the original chronology. It was rather ingenius. But WHO would have wanted to do that? If Jews were employed as astronomers in a great percentage at Babylon, they certainly would have considered doing this.

So I think the reference is there perhaps to focus on what would happen today as far as the Biblical chronology related to astronomical texts. It's a passage that sort of establishes the Jews in the astronomical setting at Babylon and that the "stars" or astronomy would be connected with Jesus at the second coming as well.

Now I know that's FAR FETCHED to you, perhaps, but it is related somewhat to this; and thus I believe God did provide the star and had this recorded to set the setting for astronomical manipulation or information as part of the Messianic scenario specifically or in general.

The Bible does say there would be "signs in the stars and sun and moon" someplace doesn't it too? Astrological phenomena, therefore, is not ruled out as indicating Biblical events in the timetable.

JCanon

• justhuman
    justhuman

WT believed in Astrology for 70 years

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The birth of dignitaries and esteemed men like Socrates and Julius Caesar were said to have been announced by a star. This tradition was an extention of the existing mythologies that placed a star and magi at the birth of superhuman saviors.(eg.Buddha,Krishna, various Egyptian demigods)

It is widely accepted that the birth narrative with the standard "star", "manger/cave" and "magi bearing gifts of Gold Frankinsence and myrrh"(from Socrates story) were added to the Jesus legends as an afterthought by the original author or an editor of Matthew (and Luke using a different oral tradition)seeking to elevate his hero to the stature of previously honored Saviors/leaders. So you are correct that the intent was to describe a divine miracle heralding the Christ rather than it be a plot of Satan. It was only the later intolerance of astrology by Protestant church leaders that sought to find a new spin for the story.

• detective
    detective

Everybody knows that it wasn't magi who visited baby Jesus- it was shepherds. Um, or was it magi? Or sheherds? Maybe both? I wish those crazy gospels actually told the same story... but then again... when humans play telephone allegedly on behalf of god, sometimes the line gets a bit fuzzy.

As for the star being sent by Satan, if Satan's got enough power to move stars, couldn't he just have sent a meteor crashing down and vaporized baby Jesus on the spot? Why the middle man? Surely there would have been easier ways to get Herod to Christ. Why not train a "messiah-sniffing camel" and just have Herod's folks follow the camel? Not much of a planner, that Satan.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

I go along with Arthur C Clarke's "The Star" (one of the best short stories ever written... ever).

If you've read it, you know... if you haven't read it, I won't ruin it for you. But it's a worthy read for any who think about God and religion.

It's often found in short-story collections in Sci-Fi...but it is not a science fiction story, it's a speculative look at the past with interplanetary astornomy as a backdrop.

• Myxomatosis
    Myxomatosis

lol, I remember first reading that and the pasta I was eating falling back onto my plate out of sheer disbelief. how idiotic. here's a site addressing this.
    it's just a pretend discussion.

http://www.jwinfoline.com/Documents/Christmas/Is_Christmas_pagan.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit