Suicide or Real Freedom? - My Story As One Of Jehovah's Witnesses

by dubstepped 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• airborne
    airborne
    Wonderful post. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

No appology needed :) it was great to read that and you expressed well so many of things we all deal with as a result of the cult

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Thanks for posting this man I'll take time and read it through am at work right now.

Good stuff, Freeminds worthy post !

On edit : you and your wife look great ! Buff couple !

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

dubstepped

Wow...what a fantastic story. It was well worth the read. I just sat here and read it out loud to my spouse. It was wonderful!

It is amazing that you and your wife did all of this together. The debt you paid off and the hard work you did to do that was commendable. You did it with hard work and should be proud of that.

Your story will give so many here hope. I know you must hurt that you both lost your family but you have gained a brother and his family. How wonderful! It is good that you have moved on and are making new friends. You are right, there are so many wonderful people to connect with in "the world." They do not all have horns and pitchforks. lol

Thank you again for your story, it truly made our day.

• WatchtowerReviewz
    WatchtowerReviewz

This was an awesome story. I am currently in that limbo phase where I am shunned by my family even though I have not been disfellowshipped or disassociated yet. I will be sending letters and private messages out to every single person I can find very soon announcing that I am leaving the organization. The one thing that has always bothered me about disassociating is that the rank and file will never now if you left on your own or if you were kicked out. I am gong to let it be known I am leaving.

Stories like yours are encouraging to read. Thanks for posting it!

• DNCall
    DNCall
    You have been up against so many things your entire life. Congratulations for enduring it all and conquering. Congratulations to Jenny as well. You both are so deserving of (and unless you've been a Witness or a hostage or critically ill, you wouldn't understand) normalcy. I wish you every success.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Jeezus, it's like the WTS wants to drive young people away...
  • Syme
    Syme

Thank you very much for your sharing of your story. It was very touching.

The length of the story was just fine, no worries :-)

• Sabin
    Sabin
    Dubstepped. WOW! that was such a wonderful read & I love the pic of you & your beautiful wife at the end. You have an amazing journey ahead of you my friend enjoy. Big Hug for you both.
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped

I'm glad to see the positive response. I really tried to avoid putting specifics in regarding our family members. Believe me, I could have written at least that much, if not more, about our respective family dysfunctions. The book on "The Narcissistic Family" was great for identifying how the Borg creates narcissists out of people, but it was also helpful in dealing with both of our families. Both of us grew up with parents that were sons/daughters of alcoholic families and our family lives mirrored much of that without any alcohol. I have so many stories, but I wanted to keep this primarily JW centered.

Thanks for the kind words. It means a lot to know that the pain you go through is what is common to men, so to speak, that you're not alone. At my worst, when suicide seemed like a good option at times, one of the biggest issues was that I felt so very alone. In the Borg nobody is transparent. Imperfections are fodder for gossip and possibly even counsel from elders. It fosters a spirit of keeping everything close to your chest, not letting the real you show, not admitting where you struggle. There's no community to be found over struggles. It is nice to find such community here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit