Are you old AND dependable?

by compound complex 9 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, aging young men and women:

The term, "aging young man," came to my attention when in my early 40s. Now, nearly thirty years later, I am definitely OLD. And, I am dependable. I get a lot of work, and keep it, because people count on me. Of course, I did fall down on a job once -- literally -- when I had a heart attack and couldn't finish feeding my cardiologist's dogs. What irony.

I've also read that us older folks have a low rate of work-related absenteeism. Perhaps, then, getting older and becoming more dependable are mated.

I bet you're dependable, too!

Want to talk about it?

THANKS!

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

I started a slow retirement at 50. I have had the same clients since day one. At 50 I decided to fire one half of my clients, well that went over like a lead balloon. They understood but were not to happy. At 55 a few more went bye bye. Then at 62, three years ago, I decided this is it time to make the final cut. So I called group of clients, now the majority of them understood but one. The conversation went like this. Me: do you have a couple of minutes. Client: sure. Me: I will be retiring in 6 months for good. Client : I do not have time to talk to you today. Me: ok, maybe tomorrow will be better. Client: yes we will resume this discussion tomorrow.

The next morning I opened my bank account and found a deposit in my account client had increased my monthly payment by 25%. That day he said we are the same age so when I decide to retire you may retire. After 25 years I am not about to get used to dealing with someone new.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, rebelfighter!

I understand completely. When I run into some clients from years ago, they tell me they wish I still worked for them.

I appreciate your story!

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

As I've aged, I've discovered that competent and dependable will get you a lot farther than brilliant and erratic.

• steve2
    steve2

When I was a young and much more handsome man, I slept in a lot and on occasion, was known to roll over and forget I had employment and "Kingdom" commitments for that day. Patient people knocked on my door and brought me to my senses.

Now I am older and less handsome, I seldom if ever sleep in and never roll over in the face of my commitments. People - kind or otherwise - knock less on my door and my senses seldom depart. I am reliability central.

There is a lot to be said for growing up and taking responsibility for one's life.

• LV101
    LV101

Very dependable/responsible and reflecting back maybe it wasn't as common as we thought decades ago because employers would offer the world to keep you on board - bonuses, extra vacay time, etc. It's strange because Americans used to be known as the hardest working people on earth -- right! I think many were. I don't think many of us knew any other way and we excelled at what we did.

It's a different world today -- better in many ways -- but I know employers who look for industrious workers every single day of the year. They hire an employee one day and they might show up then after a few days never hear from them again -- some don't even pick up their paycheck. Crazy.

It's hard to imagine being considered a senior member of society -- for some reason old is age 90 to me now! Time is a thief.

• zeb
    zeb

"I am weary of a task which is done and I hope I shall not shrink when the aftermath ends. My only wish is to live peacefully out the remaining years – if years they be."

Churchill to Clementine, 21 May 1957, in Speaking for Themselves edited by Mary Soames.

and by the way, yes.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

My husband would do anything to keep from breaking his word, and I'm the same. We have learned many times over, our word is all we have. I never make an appointment or any kind of commitment if I have a doubt about being able to fulfill it.

I just despise having to deal with anyone who won't show up when they said they would, and just leave me hanging. I just cut 'em loose if they don't respect my time or their own word.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I am both.

When illness forced me to retire, my boss and I wept.

Now, I'm dependable Mama Sylvia to my children and g'children.

I love them so, and I do believe it's reciprocal.

Sylvia

• Mum
    Mum

Funny thing, but I feel younger now than I did in my 20's.

I have a part-time job, from 2 PM to 7 PM five days a week. Yes, I'm dependable, but the hours are wonderful, and I don't have to drag myself from a sound sleep at 6:30 in the morning! Work is a choice, not a matter of survival, and that takes a lot of pressure off as well.

During my working life, I almost never called in sick regardless of how I felt. Compared to my co-workers, I was the most dependable employee in the place. It counted for very little, IMHO.

I've also proved myself dependable when my daughter and granddaughter create crises and call on me to bail them out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit