Up the Republic

by ignorance is strength 1 Replies latest social current

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

Well I was surfing through this website and I thought of something... all members of the commonwealth arise and think how great a republic would be. I mean, what do we pay our Governor-Generals for? They live lavish lifestyles at the cost of the taxpayers and they do not even represent the wishes of the people since they are appointed by the Prime Minister (at least in Canada, it varies in each commonwealth country). This is made worse by an appointed senate who are only interested in recieving their patronage paychecks and not in the general interest of the people. (okay, most of this applies to Canada, especially since Ont. and Quebec have the most seats in parliament while BC, a province that in a few years will have the same population as Quebec, is about 50 seats behind, and a few hundred behind in the senate compared to PEI which has 1 senator for every 45,000 persons whilst BC has one senator for every 600,000 persons). Anyways... back to the monarchy. Why have your country still associated with a relic empire that committed genocide and ruled countries with an iron fist.

I'm a republican and I'm proud of it. My great-grandfather was a republican and fought at the Easter Uprising and then in the Civil War and I am a republican today. Break away from the morally-bankrupt, anglicans-only monarchy and embrace an elected head of state. Now I'm not saying we should be like the americans, we could just have an elected president instead of a Governer-General.

• Zep
    Zep

I think we Australians should do the same. I'm against any form of public privilege such as recieved by the queen. And Besides it's ridiculous to have a head of state that is, in our case anyway, halfway around the world and has only been here a handful of times. A few years ago we Australians had a referendum on whether we should off the queen and become a republic or not. While a majority wanted a republic the monarchists still won. The reason why we still have the bloody queen on our 5 dollar bill is that the republicans couldn't decide on a republican model. Some wanted a popularly elected president, while others wanted the parliment to select the president. I'm with the later idea, It makes more sense and saves more more money. off the queen, good idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit