NWT 2013

by truthlover 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truthlover
    truthlover

The old NWT contained a byline that indicated Westcott and Hort was used in the translation of this Bible. (They are not mentioned in the 2013 release) but you and I both know that their wordings in scripture remain in the new release.

If you check their background, you will find some serious issues with these translators which the society used.

Has anyone googled WH for their Spiritual qualifications to include them in the NWT??

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    W & H is not a translation, so the question in the OP is not clear to me.
  • TimDrake1914
    TimDrake1914
    AFAIK, Westcott and Hort's text of the NT is very well respected work in the field of textual criticism. Their groundbreaking work set the stage for further studies in textual criticism, and is a highly valued work, even to this day, for the precedent it set. Having said that, more recent work in textual criticism has added to the body of work that they started. If anything, I commend WT for consulting this highly respected work, but I fault them for ignoring some of the bigger questions that arise from the study of textual criticism of the Bible, such as the many contradictions in the Bible that they don't acknowledge. Instead they try to "explain" them away.
  • careful
    careful

TD1914, I couldn't agree more.

I fault them for ignoring some of the bigger questions that arise from the study of ... criticism of the Bible, such as the many contradictions in the Bible that they don't acknowledge. Instead they try to "explain" them away.

I suspect they just cannot handle this sort of truth. That's why they get hostile to anyone who asks about this kind of thing. They have to live in a fantasy land. Simple minds cannot acknowledge such truths and still maintain faith.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

TimDrake1914: If anything, I commend WT for consulting this highly respected work, but I fault them for ignoring some of the bigger questions that arise from the study of textual criticism of the Bible, such as the many contradictions in the Bible that they don't acknowledge. Instead they try to "explain" them away.

This is in line with how wonderful and privileged is "the faithful and discreet slave" from everyone else. They don't want to acknowledge that there are far too many instances of limited information given (if any) in many biblical contexts. Somehow, the WT people claim to have privileged information others don't. Yeah right! Many issues cannot be simply explained in a sentence.

• truthlover
    truthlover

Lee:

I did not say WH was a translation, I said it was used in the translation by the society ... but I wondered if there was any history of WH being inspired, etc. to be used by them to put out that translation ... there has never been anyone listed as being used as translators, knowing Greek, Hebrew, etc. There have been rumors but never any fact out of the society.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

In this post (on a different board) I posted some indications that the rNWT has given priority to a more modern text than the WH (the UBS and probably NA27-28).

Bobcat

• truthlover
    truthlover

Thanks Bobcat, took a look at the information...

• bobld
    bobld
    See appendice W-H is there
  • bobld
    bobld
    This is Reese Currie view of the NWT.Practically none of the essential truths of the bible could ever be discovered from the NWT.If you have a copy of the NWT,please do not take this version to a used bookstore to get rid of it.Let the damage stop withyou and throw it out yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit