Jesus and Hail Zeus

by enoughisenough 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

maybe not the best subject area for post, but I was watching 3 different youtube channels in which pronounciations of God's and his Son's names were being discussed. All 3 agreed that the scribes ( I believe thought to be Greek ) when copying Yeshua ( Jesus) into Greek used a word ( instead of Yeshua ) that in Greek meant Hail Zeus so that Christians would unwittingly praise their god. At least 2 of the videos mentioned the Nicean counsel and over 50 gods were being voted on and they finially voted on 2 : Krishna and Zeus ( Jesus Christ ) Anyway, all of this was interesting to say the least. The presenters seem to have knowledge of Hebrew writing and language. ( I know nothing! ) I can find and post links if any are interested. Some of you who are more scholarly, may have thoughts on this already.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I think it makes for a good conspiracy...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Wait, Jesus was equated to Zeus by these assholes?

Seriously?

I read all the Greek myths when I was a kid… Zeus was a first-rate douche-nozzle. Shitty father, shitty husband, shitty god.

Hell, none of the Olympians had a scrap of decency; they were all basically the cast of Jersey Shore with superpowers.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Vidiot, Jesus was equated to Zeus...the presenters say Yeshua was translated into Greek by letters meaning hail zeus . I will link a fairly short video that is the first of 6, so those interested can get the flavor of this posting .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seGwYVubD58&t=384s

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Iesous is the Hellenised version of the Hebrew name Joshua/Yeshua, which means "Yahweh is salvation". It has nothing to do with Zeus.

It's probably how Joshua is rendered in the Septuagint, someone who has a copy might be able to check.

I just checked: according to Wikipedia, it is used in the Septuagint to represent Joshua.

• DamnTheTorpedoesFullSpeedAhead
    DamnTheTorpedoesFullSpeedAhead

The way "Joshua" is rendered in the Septuagint is "Iēsous."

The same way the name Jesus is rendered in Greek scriptures (since they are the same name).

You can verify with the Septuagint here (Book of Joshua). https://biblebento.com/index.html?lxx1i&60.1.1

It had nothing to do with Zeus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit