Why was Adam not a leader or made a ruler?

by shotgun 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• shotgun
    shotgun

As a dub it always made me wonder if the Years spoken of in Genesis were real years or something got lost in the translations.

Consider the first man Adam was alive at the same time Methusela was. Methusela died the same year as the flood. This means two mens lifetimes covered the period from creation to the flood. Does it seem logical or reasonable that no one spoke to Adam about his ordeal or that detailed accounts were not passed down either orally or in written form. I would have thought people would have travelled far and wide to see and speak to the first man created unless they thought he was full of it...Did you hear about that old man Adam he thinks he is the originator of all mankind ha ha ha.

When you look through history man has always sought out people like Adam for guidance often making them rulers or leaders which Adam seems like he was neither.

On the flood topic how would it be possible for the Ark to float for a year and end up so close to its starting point. If you set something adrift on the ocean it surely would not stay in the same place or even within thousands of miles after a year adrift.

What are your thoughts?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think the whole story is a shepherd's fable, and that discussing it has as much significance as discussing the properties of yellow kryptonite.

That said, according to the book of fables, it wasn't until much later in human history that God's people asked for a human ruler over them. In the world of the wicked, sinful majority of humanity, there were rulers, not because the people wanted them, but because especially wicked people decided that they would control the lives of those around them.

How's that?

• shotgun
    shotgun

I guess dats dat Nathan.

Your right it probably does not deserve a long discussion.....maybe a short one will suffice.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Shotgun...your thread made me think about the oceanic convection that moderates the planets temperature. The concern today is that the rate of polar ice melt is diluting the ocean water in the North Atlantic. This is already beginning to affect the rate and volume of the great cold sea water currents that flow down the coast of the Americas around Antartica and back up to Australasia. The complete devestation of this moderating convection flow would that the mythical flood would have caused would have resulted in an Ice age in the now temperate zones and blistering heat waves in the tropical zone. It would have taken thousands,possibly tens of thouands of years for the planet to recover it's present fragile equalibrium. The age of the Patriarc legends are discussed at the thread entitled "aging".

• JCanon
    JCanon

Interesting concept that Adam should have been consulted, etc. But it's only a presumption that he wasn't. Just because the Bible doesn't mention that detail doesn't mean he wasn't consulted, that that he had to be. I mean the story of what happened could have been told by any generation as any other folkloric tale, though the evidence was always there. Plus I think probably people visited the gardent and saw the cherubs guarding the tree of life as sort of a field trip.

Plus you had the angels themselves rebelling against God who understood these things and they saw the Nephillim from them. So probably these people were quite well-informed about everything and had plenty to confirm it.

But of note, the fundamental concept of what went on in the garden and the battle between Satan and Michael the archangel was very well understood, thus Noah taught this to his children and it spread into the varying cultures. We know this because of ancient references to some goddesses like Ishtar who becomes the "Virgin" goddess represented in the ancient Sumerian constellation of "Virgo". This is the image of a woman holding a branch. The ancient symbolism of a branch is of your lineage or your "seed". Thus the woman with the branch was a reflection of the original "woman and her seed" from Eden. The "woman" at Genesis 3:15 is a reference to Satan and her seed a reference to those who are part of her rebellion.

Thus at Genesis 3:15 when God said: "I will put enmity between YOU and the woman and between your seed and her seed" he was speaking to Jesus Christ. When he said: "He will bruise you in the head and you will bruise him in the heel" he was talking to Satan.

JCanon

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Maybe Adam was an ass^0(3 that no one liked to talk to...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit