B.C. provincial court-Jehovah's Witness grandparents ordered to keep faith to themselves

by mzmmom3 5 Replies latest jw friends

• mzmmom3
    mzmmom3

I re joined just to post this. Great feeling of validation, as this is why my entire family disowned me.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/british-columbia/jehovah-s-witness-grandparents-ordered-to-keep-faith-to-themselves-1.3282193

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Your link doesn't seem to be working.
  • SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11
    I just read this and think it is go great! Good for them for following through! I wish I could do this with some of our family :-/
  • under the radar
    under the radar

There was a Watchtower or Awake! article several years back that discussed this very thing. It gave the example of how a non-custodial father who was prohibited by the Court from discussing religion with his child could comply with that restriction and still get the child thinking about spiritual things indirectly.

I couldn't immediately locate this article using the Society's online library, but hopefully someone here will remember it and post a copy or a link to it. I'd appreciate it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm kind of on the fence about this.

x

One the one hand, it's good when the state takes positive measures like this to protect the vulnerability of minors...

...but on the other hand, it plays a bit too much to the Watchtower's persecution complex for my comfort.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Sorry about the double post. I went back to make some corrections and add more information, but my editing window apparently closed while I was doing so.

There was an Awake! article several years back that discussed this very thing. It gave the example of how a non-custodial father who was prohibited by the Court from discussing religion with his child could comply with that restriction and still get the child thinking about spiritual things indirectly.

I couldn't find this specific article in the Society's online library, but under "Child Custody" in the index it refers to a couple of places (pages 4-9 and 13-14) in the October 22, 1988 Awake! that dealt extensively with divorce and this issue specifically. I'm not sure this is the exact article I am thinking of and I can't check it because the online library doesn't contain much material earlier than 2000. The index shows the reference, but it's grayed out and there is no link. Hopefully, someone here has a hard copy of that issue and will post a copy or a link to it. I'd appreciate it. You're welcome to PM me if you'd rather not post the whole article publicly.

The index had another reference that may be what I'm looking for. It was the December 8, 1997 Awake!, pages 5-7. It's not available online either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit