Is Stefan Molyneux a dangerous cult leader

by slimboyfat 8 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

A guy on YouTube who got popular spouting ideas on social and political issues, Molyneux gained additional notoriety when he started encouraging people to cut off their natural families. Some followers took his advice seriously, and mums crying about the consequences have gone to the media to tell their story.

It's interesting how this resembles and also differs from JW shunning. Decided upon by individuals rather than elders the effects would seem to be no less devastating for the shunned. Perhaps more so since the shunning is not communally enforced as such and a personal choice of the shunner.

Would you consider this guy Molyneux a cult leader and dangerous? Or is this qualitatively different than what the GB tell their followers to do?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/nov/15/family-relationships-fdr-defoo-cult

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Reminds me of this guy:

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
    a daughter against her mother,
    a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
    36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’

37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. - Matthew 10:34-38 New International Version

And contrast that to this scripture which could be applied to all three - Jesus, JWs and Molyneux:

He who troubles his own house will inherit the wind... Proverbs 11:29a New King James Version

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Would you consider this guy Molyneux a cult leader and dangerous? - it seems to me that he is a cult leader, to some degree.

Anyone that causes a person to shun their friends/family is up for consideration as a cult leader, IMO.

I certainly wouldn't want this guy around my family ...

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hi Slim'

About a year ago I was contacted by the Labour Councillor for South Leamington. She is convinced that Molyneaux is a cult leader having lost all contact with her son because of his activities.

I've tried to find out what I can and started a topic about it here;

Asking for help re Stefan Molyneux of FreeDomainRadio

Will follow your topic with interest . .

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    I've met Barbara Weed a couple of times. How sad to lose a child that way 😞
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

If you ever see her again Mickey tell Barbara I've never forgotten her story.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I just came across him because he was ranting against feminism on YouTube. At first he just seems like a libertarian that you commonly find on the Internet. Then at a closer look he seems a bit more sinister. Hard to peg though. His monotone delivery and insincere grin do little to dispel the impression he's some sort of sociopath.
  • My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    Every cult leader is dangerous.
  • deanxxx
    deanxxx

I had the misfortune of stumbling across him a few years ago on youtube. Took an instant dislike to him. Alarm bells went off. Total narcissist imo. I'm not surprised to hear what he's up to now. A massively odious creature.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Stefan_Molyneux

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit