Escape From Paradise - One year anniversary - Thanks everyone!

by Brock Talon 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

Today marks the 1 year anniversary of the release of my second book, "Escape from Paradise". I wanted to take the time to thank everyone here who was supportive of this book and for all the great feedback I received on it. You guys rock.

Of course, not all the feedback was pleasant. For your entertainment, I would like to share with you its harshest review:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R221VE36JIUUS7/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00S292JS2

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    Hey Brock, I enjoyed both your books. Escape from paradise gave a good insight into daily life at bethel. TE
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

Brock, my spouse and I, really enjoyed reading your book. My hope for 2016. Bethelites

being sent home with no status or money, will write their stories about their life in God's

House.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Brock, I am sorry you received such a ridiculous review. Sheesh. Some people.

I have both your books, and enjoyed your first book immensely. This second one triggers me like crazy, I have to keep putting it down because I just start crying and crying (despite my user name, I am female, but that's not to say that men don't get emotional too!)

I recently lost my mother, and it has been so difficult for me to come to terms with the way I treated her when I was such a JW idiot (My mom was never a JW, I converted when I was 20, which is over 30 years ago! I finally woke up within the last few years.)

Anyhoo. I do want to finish your book, but it brings up so much personal pain, regret, and sorrow for me..... Your book is raw, it hurts.... It is very well written, but my heart resonates with your words so much, in fact here I am starting to lose it all over again. Gah. Time to have a walk or a shower.

I aim to write you a wonderful review when I can. 💕

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

Truthexplorer - thanks for the shout out.

ToesUp - I hope that happens too! I really don't know why more ex-Bethelites don't write about it.

Muddy Waters - Wow, that is a powerful endorsement. I hope someday you can finish my book and that you can heal from all the hurt. I would love to know if the book helps you in any way. Thanks so much dear.

Brock

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung
    Hi Brock, if this was the worst review, having read yours and hos reply, you did a very good job. Cheers Hoff
  • Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

Hoffnung, Thank you.

I usually don't respond to reviews, but the guy had it so wrong I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought perhaps he just misunderstood the book's premise. After his response to mine I realized I was dealing with an idiot who took the word "Escape" from my title completely literally. He said I didn't "escape", so my title was a lie and that's why the book earned a 1 star review.

I suppose there is no way someone can "escape" from mental bondage? For him, it had to be a literal escape from ropes, chains or a prison cell in order for it to not be "a lie", as he put it.

The hilarious thing is, at one point in his rambling he declared: "If you had named your book, 'why I left the Watchtower after 35 years' or something like that, THEN that would have been OK."

I wanted to respond to that, "Well, sir, that actually IS the book's subtitle... so, subtitle's don't count?"

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Looks like you were dealing with a real "rocket scientist." Lol

• possum
    possum
    The fact that he said "Why didn't he just quit the church when he became an adult" clearly shows absolutely no comprehension of what it is like to be trapped in a high control cult.
  • Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

Possum,

Yes, absolutely. The reviewer just didn't understand the "high control" part of the equation and was thinking of the JWs as any other religion you could just quit. That is why I had to apologize... I felt it must have been my fault that I didn't explain it properly, which was at least part of the purpose of my writing the book in the first place: I wanted the never-JW to comprehend what it is like being a JW, and then to become an ex-JW.

For this guy, I totally failed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit