Benefits to Faith over Reason

by cobweb 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cobweb
    cobweb

I wrote this earlier for my own benefit in order to get some thoughts straight in my head. It is just my own personal pondering on what I think might be the motivating force behind having a faith. It is not intended to attack, provoke or patronize anyone who has a belief and I hope it is not taken in that way. I come at this from the perspective of someone without Religious Faith and I am sure it will show.

Regarding faith in God: to suspend ones rational mind in order to believe in a supernatural benefactor where the evidence does not support it does not seem sensible to me. Yet people choose to do it. Why? There are bound to be many reasons but here is one reason I would like to consider.

Faith means giving up ones sense of self reliance, letting go of all doubt and this action sets off certain feelings in the brain that are powerful and very positive. Uncritical Faith is the pre-requisite for spiritual sensation to flourish.

This is what i think atheists such as Dawkins and Hitchens miss because they have not and would never suspend their critical faculties. The powerful effect of faith on a believer's state of mind is under-appreciated by those who have not experienced it. There is a calculation involved in putting Faith over Reason. It is a trade off and religious people make a different choice because they see greater value in the feelings that Faith provides. I do not think it registers as a conscious choice for the most part. I think there is an unconscious sense that 'this feels good' and 'this feels bad' and they are guided accordingly.

If I were to examine God or religion with a scientific mindset, I would rely on my own judgement - this immediately creates a mental state where spiritual feelings do not flourish - at least those associated with a belief in God. While it would be possible to come to a greater and more accurate understanding of how belief in a supernatural God developed over time and who, why and when religious texts about that God were written and changed etc - without some level of suspension of my skeptical mind, no spiritual feelings about that God would be present in me. It will merely be a subject of investigation like any other subject, such as History or Biology.

For me, I am satisfied with that to be the case for a number of reasons. I would rather sacrifice the spiritual feelings one can gain from religion because I do not want to suspend my critical faculties in order to get them. I would rather look at reality squarely in the face. I also think one can gain those same spiritual sensations elsewhere. But i can see why the notion of Faith in God continues to persevere even at a time when it seems like human kind know enough to move past it.

While I can see advantages for some people in choosing to believe in God, I do wish that it were possible to be more honest about the motivations. If someone were to say:

'I believe in God because it makes me happy and I enjoy the sensations i get from feeling spiritual' I am completely on board with that.

And even if they then say:

'I believe everything in the Bible as literally true because in order to maintain my spiritual feelings i must have 100 percent total faith in the entire paradigm otherwise those spiritual emotions will evaporate'

The trouble is that religious people tend not to explain it like that, even if it is the case. They do not acknowledge with self awareness, why they choose Faith over Reason. They insist there is a good rational explanation for their belief beyond the spiritual feelings they get from it. I think this is because to do otherwise would cause too much cognitive dissonance. Unfortunately this makes it difficult to have an honest conversation about what is actually going on in order for the non believer to appreciate the true motivation for their religious statements.

I could make a parallel to a couple who are very much in love and before they are to be married, they are advised to get a pre-nup. Rationally this seems the right thing for them to do, looking at the divorce statistics. But considering their loving relationship in those calculated terms would taint the emotion they feel. It accepts the possibility that they could split up which is at odds with their loving intentions and declarations. They deny the possibility because it creates cognitive dissonance.

In that situation, it is understandable to say: screw statistics, i love you, i believe in you. I have faith. Saying that amplifies the emotion. To do otherwise might be more sensible but have the opposite effect emotionally.

That is as far as I have got with it. I feel like I didn't quite get to a conclusion but I hope it makes sense.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

It does make sense. Belief is a powerful thing psychologically. People who believe in themselves because they were raised by parents who believed in them have a huge advantage over those who weren't. The placebo effect illustrates the reality of belief.

If only we could harness the power of belief in a non-religious way. I supposes this is what all the business gurus and life coaches are trying to do. To get us to raise our positivity and so believe in life and our own personal power.

I do remember the feeling of having a strong belief that I was being looked after by God and angels. It was powerful, even fantasy can energise and motivate. I suppose what we're talking about here is the power of the human brain to accomplish things if we believe it's possible. It's a fascinating subject, thanks cobweb.

• millie210
    millie210

Thanks for sharing your "inner workings" of the mind cobweb.

I am trying to sort out some of the same things for myself and it is helpful to read your thoughts.

And no, you didnt come across at all as provoking or patronizing IMO.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I personally think that faith is for those not yet equipped emotionally and mentally to deal with reality. Many that turn to faith are looking for answers to traumas they've faced in life. They want the promise of something better without knowing how to make things better now.

• looter
    looter

It warms my heart to read this! It's like I just read my mind. You are absolutely correct in that people who do not have faith do not have happiness or overall good feelings inside of them. Personally, I feel most people who choose to disbelieve do so because it's basically the norm nowadays and everyone is doing it. This is just a classic case of conformity within the human race. As for honesty, most of us who have retained being a follower of Jesus are honest, it's just that most people don't give us a chance to voice our inner minds without objecting and attacking promptly.

• Tantalon
    Tantalon

@looter ; "You are absolutely correct in that people who do not have faith do not have happiness or overall good feelings inside of them"

Wow, I did not see this anywhere in OP, I did see this;

"I also think one can gain those same spiritual sensations elsewhere."

Just...wow....maybe I misread it

(sorry I have not worked out the quote bit)

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

You are absolutely correct in that people who do not have faith do not have happiness or overall good feelings inside of them.

That's simply not true. If you believe that then you don't know those people at all.

Personally, I feel most people who choose to disbelieve do so because it's basically the norm nowadays and everyone is doing it. This is just a classic case of conformity within the human race.

Atheists are still in the minority - so how do you come to that conclusion?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"I believe everything in the Bible as literally true because in order to maintain my spiritual feelings i must have 100 percent total faith in the entire paradigm otherwise those spiritual emotions will evaporate."

THIS.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I think along the lines of what dubstepped posted. Faith gets you through tough times when you don't have the answers of emotional capacity to deal with certain life events (or with life itself).

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I personally think that faith is for those not yet equipped emotionally and mentally to deal with reality.

Or maybe reason (or materialist reductionism) is for people who want to escape from the multifaceted and indeterminate nature of reality. It's ironic that it is the same impulse for certainty and definitive answers that drives people into JWs as also drives many former JWs to embrace reductive materialism. It's the same sort of myopia, just different wallpaper.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit