Newspaper article on Conventions—why so glowing?

by Londo111 38 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Londo111
    Londo111

Every year in dozens of cities where conventions are being held, newspapers typically write an article about the event. There are exceptions, but usually they print articles like these:

http://www.gazettes.com/entertainment/jehovah-s-witness-annual-convention-promotes-loyalty/article_d00965a6-1d1f-11e6-86b8-ef61aa9f3fae.html

http://www.presstelegram.com/social-affairs/20160519/thousands-of-jehovahs-witnesses-will-kick-off-weekend-conventions-in-long-beach

Typically, the journalist goes to the convention spokesman who gives the official spiel: “Loyalty is a big factor in our lives…And we teach how to display that.…One of the big focuses is how to positively impact the household and family…It’s a pretty positive experience.”

Loyalty, family life, positivity! How nice!

Of course, we know the alarming things that are really being taught at the convention. Rather than a positive experience, it is guilt inducing, apocalyptic and divisive to family life.

I would love to see more newspaper articles that did some actual objective reporting, rather than puff pieces.

Why do journalists write these puff pieces? Why do they tend not do a little digging and do a more objective article? What’s in it for them?

One of the articles above highlighted how the conventions would bring into the city $64.5 million dollars. Does the money effect how the newspapers report on the conventions?

I’ve no answers here. I’m just asking. And what can be done to remedy this?

• flipper
    flipper

If the words were rearranged the article would be accurate: "Loyalty to the Watchtower organization's rules are the biggest factor in our lives. The biggest focus is to positively impact the organization at the expense of household and family. It's a pretty fear-inducing experience."

It is unfortunate that so many in the general public don't have a clue how destructive a cult the Watchtower is. I've run into a lot of people who think of them as harmless church people. I set them straight when I can.

Mrs. Flipper

• sir82
    sir82

Why do journalists write these puff pieces? Why do they tend not do a little digging and do a more objective article? What’s in it for them?

Don't know about the particular articles you cite, but in general (not just with JW stories) many times it's a combination of laziness and/or economics.

Newspapers don't have staff or resources to investigate as thoroughly as they should, so they either just reprint press releases submitted by [XYZ corporation] with minimal fact-checking, or the reporter would rather be playing video games so he spends all of 15 minutes on a softball interview with the first guy in a suit that he sees so he can get out ASAP.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Laziness and political correctness.

Sylvia

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

There is a clear difference between a JW convention and a convention of bikers or tattoo enthusiasts or politicians, etc., in terms of civil order, peace and cleanliness.

It can be easily noticed by the unbiased/objective journalist that JW conventions on top of the financial gains to the area, also bring orderly, clean, law-abiding, well groomed individuals.

I know...., it is difficult for many in this forum to attach any credit to the WTBTS.

DY

• flipper
    flipper

Orderly, clean, law-abiding, well-groomed individuals who are members of a destructive cult, who will shun anyone who leaves the cult, will look the other way from crimes in their cult if the cult says to. Will die or let their kids die rather than have a blood transfusion.

And with their squeaky clean outer appearance (we know that appearance is big with them), will recruit into their cult without warning recruits of those repercussions.

Kinda like wolves in sheep's clothing even if they don't see that in themselves.

So no, can't give them any credit. Those bikers and politicians may have more genuine concern for their families, and for doing the right thing.

Mrs. Flipper

• Londo111
    Londo111
    Doubtfully Yours:

Conventions of "bikers or tattoo enthusiasts or politicians" do not encourage shunning family members and friends, to not take blood transfusions in emergencies, selling homes and take lesser paying jobs to proselytize "where the need is greater", forgo higher education, ramp up apocalyptic doomsday fears, ect, ect...

And I'm not saying that journalists should not report anything positive they might observe...but do more robust reporting on what is really taught at the convention and how it affects people.

• just fine
    just fine

DY- I have been to plenty of conventions that were not witness related where people were kind and respectful. We didn't all look alike, or dress alike, or even think alike, but were there to learn about something we were interested in. I know it's hard to believe anyone but witnesses can have a nice gathering, even with thousands of people, but it happens every day all over the world.

For the Witnesses it's all a show, at least at the other conventions most people are genuine.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

In any conglomerate of people there will exist ALL kinds.

I remember living up North and having to leave the town for a couple of weeks because the bikers would swarm the area; and by the time the last one was gone, the area was trashed to the max, Law Enforcement and the Town's people were spent and highly stressed out, then a couple of months later, here comes the tattoo artists and enthusiasts of New England. Now, I dare anyone to find me a worse crowd of weirdos, misfits and freaks, all that also effortlessly destroyed the place. This continues to happen annually still.

JWs welcomed anytime!!!

DY

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Relax and accentuate the positive.

It will make you happier! 🌞

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit