JWs predatory letter writing in the news.

by Dark Knight 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Dark Knight
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

This was just a pioneer trying to kill time by wiring something out before moving to the next house. I buy their story that it was a coincidence - if the JW knew of the death, she would've just lead with that. Why would they intentionally do this 3 months after the death? It actually seems like a shame if this story gets much attention because to me it's just a case of unfortunate timing and I think it'll look that way to most people (at least those who aren't grieving and sensitive to the illusion of meaning in minor things). It's a shame because JWs actually DO scan obituaries and write predatory letters to those who have had a recent loss - THOSE are the stories that need exposure and crying wolf like this just makes those stories seem less reliable.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The video`s don`t work

Jehovah`s Witnesses have always targeted the most  vulnerable,but then hasn`t every religion ? in one way or another ?

smiddy

• Bw500
    Bw500

I too think that letter was probably a coincidence (leaving a letter and a tract to someone who you've visited before counts as a return visit), but the JW could have also been thinking "this person experienced a loss. This tract might help, but I don't want to be too obvious about" which ended up as an epic fail.

Some JWs do read obituaries and look up the addresses of the family members mentioned to write "condolence" letters filled with "hope" from the Bible. My mother used to do this often. I only did it as an emergency option when I needed to make my hours for the month. But it always felt wrong to me.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I buy their story that it was a coincidence - if the JW knew of the death, she would've just lead with that.

Why would they intentionally do this 3 months after the death?

Could be a coincidence, but when people get called out for bad behavior the lying starts, oops I mean the theocratic warfare starts.

When my brother in law died JW's came to the house about a month later.

They told us they seen there was a death in the family and had a related tract they wanted to give me.

Waiting 3 months could be done to allow people to get their composure back?

JW's absolutely check the obits to gain vulnerable prospects for possible cult recruits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit