Who really is assigned the Congregation Charity Tax return in the congregation?

by Quarterback 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I have this poor friend that has so much to do.as an Account Servant. I recently noticed that he got additional work loaded on his back by the Secretary who told him that it was his responsibility to fill this Register Charity form return.

I remember from long ago that this was a job that the Secretary had to do, but can't find it in writing. Does anyone have anything in writting on it?

• berrygerry
    berrygerry
    It is the Secretary, who cannot add with a calculator, and gets the Accounts "Servant" to do it.
  • freddo
    freddo

When I was Accounts Servant as an MS I did it. When I was Secretary I did it myself. But we had a "good" time when we had ten elders and one of them was Accounts Servant and he did it for me for a while.

It depends on workload and number of appointed (and semi-competent) men.

At the moment in our hall the Secretary works secularly and the Accounts Servant is a retired MS. The accounts servant does.

Final responsibility for all things financial is the Secretary. (Well whole BoE as trustees actually)

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    I was an account servant and filled the form out. I don't recall it being that big of a deal.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    I thought it would be the Secretary who would do that. He is the one who gives the stamp on things. I am 99% sure of this.
  • Quarterback
    Quarterback
    Thanks, I think it is in writing somewhere, it really is the Secretary isn't it?
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    I cant really show that it is in writing somewhere. But I am quite sure the Secretarys job is to in a way rubber stamp things, so to speak. He takes care of all the records and such.
  • Doctor Who
    Doctor Who
    As the Account Servant, I use to do all things financial. That included doing anything that involved taxes. Of coarse, our congregation Elders were not the sharpest tools in the shed. Our Secretary, up to the time I went inactive, was not too bright. He was actually a VERY nice fellow, just wasn't good with numbers or paperwork. I still can't figure out why he was the Secretary. But, Yeah....in my experience, it was up to the account servant.
  • freddo
    freddo

OK here's how it goes.

Each of the Service Committee has responsibility for things in "their" department.

Service Overseer oversees territory, mags and literature depts and usually has MS's and assistants helping out. Oversees "Trolley/Cart" ministry although the actual schedule will be done by a MS or another brother. Any of them might fill out forms but it is the responsibility of the S.O.

CoBE oversees Hall Servant and Sound Dept - now audio-visual (besides organising elders meetings, CO visit and most of the meeting schedules.

Secretary oversees Accounts (often done by another elder or a MS and he or the Sec can sort out charity tax reclaim forms), oversees (through group overseers) reports and sends "hours" to the branch. He looks after all the judicial records and child protection files and the policy (letters) file. Much of this is on line now anyway. Keeps minutes of elders meetings.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    I am unsure what this Treasure Overseer does these days, if there is even one anymore. And if it is the Secretary is the guy who pays the bills for the congregation and what not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit