What are you going to be when you grow up?

by Wild_Thing 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

When I was a kid back in the early 80s, they had a special part at the Kingdom Hall one night. I am pretty sure it was the circuit overseer's visit and they were having special parts on youth. They called all the little kids less than 10 years old up on the stage. I don't remember the entire bit ... I think we were up there for a while sitting on the stage, and at one point they asked us all what we wanted to be when we grew up.

And of course, all of the kids gave the canned answers you would expect.

"I want to be a pioneer!"

"I want to be missionary!"

"I want to be an elder!"

I think I said I wanted to be a bethelite. <shudder>

There was this one little kid whose family was on the fringes of our JW society. He came from a family of a lot of teenage girls who kept getting disfellowshipped for having babies out of wedlock, and they were all sort of on again, off again witnesses. I am pretty sure his mom was currently disfellowshipped. He was about 4 years old.

After going through all of the typical canned answers all of us kids gave, he put the microphone in front of this little boy who attended so rarely, he didn't know us from Adam. When they asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, he said in a quiet little voice, "I want to be a Jehovah's Witness."

There was dead silence in the hall and then several murmurs of "Awwwwww!"

At the time, I thought to myself, "What kind of answer is that???" Now it kind of just makes me sick to my stomach. I hope that kid went to college and became a huge success in life! But chances are he is probably just another disfellowshipped Jehovah's Witness.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Thanks for sharing. Well, hey, at least you woke up...

• Cangie
    Cangie

3 years ago when my granddaughter (then 5) was "graduating" from daycare, they had a ceremony for them. The little cuties marched in, scrubbed and in their best clothes, and took a seat in the front of the auditorium. The proud families grinned and "ooh'ed" and aah'ed and the kids performed a little program. They went around the group and told the audience what they wanted to be when they grew up, (the usual---doctor, fireman, teacher) and when it came to her turn, my granddaughter stood up, threw her arms in the air and declared "I wanna be a Rock-Star." Think she's kidding? She takes drum lessons every Saturday afternoon, and is beating the heck out of them already. THAT'S MY GIRL! She's gonna be the next Sheila E!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit